Brined chicken update.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sparks65

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 15, 2017
1st.  My thanks to all that responded to my brine question.  Kudos to TallBM for his tips and advice re SPOG.

As I was doing 5 full legs I experimented a bit.  3 went into a brine for 3 hrs in the fridge.  Patted dry and returned to the fridge for an hr.

rubbed with garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and Italian seasoning. No salt.

The other 2 were patted dry and were in the fridge the whole time. rubbed with the rub I use for chicken and pork.  Among other things it has SPOG. 

Both were set on the upper racks and smoked for 90 min. at 350/375°. IT in the thigh was 185°.  The brined legs were very pale looking so I sauced all 5, removed the racks and D plate from 1 side and gave them a light sear.

These guys turned out perfect.  Tender and juicy.  The skin was pretty decent as well.  Defiantly do again.I will oil the brined legs before rubbing next time.

I should add I sliced the skin on the brined legs in an effort to 1) allow the brine to get past the skin 2) allow the fat to render out. 

Thanks fer lookin.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinAl
Everything looks delicious!

Great looking meal!

icon14.gif

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky