Brine recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
I have a couple of turkey's in the freezer from Christmas sales that I will be smoking soon. I feel the brining step for turkey well worth the effort. I recently tried a brine recipe using vegetable broth as the brine (I know, that doesn't even sound good!) and that was a disaster. I have also tried Pop's Brine. Pop's brine recipe is pretty good. Wondering if someone has a favorite brine recipe for smoking turkey. Also looking for a recipe for thick grilled pork chops.

I like my Creole/Cajun Brine. There are dozens of varieties of Crab/Shrimp Boil. Some are liquid, some are a powder with salt, but my favorite are the Zatarain boiling bags. The bags contain whole seed spices..mustard seed, coriander seed, peppercorns, chunks of cayenne and seed, allspice, bay leaves and dill. They have a regular, and extra spicy. I use the extra spicy, and use three of them. I cut the bags and dump it all out into 1 gal of boiling water. I add 2 cups of salt, 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 white, a lemon-quartered, 2 stalks of celery, cut into 4" pieces, 2 onions cut into quarters, 10 cloves of crushed garlic and about 6 whole cloves. Boil for ten minutes, and then let it cool to room temp. I have a 30 quart cooler. I put 1/4 bag of ice in it, out of the bag and broken up, and then pour the brine over it. I put the turkey in it, and that usually covers it about 3/4 of the way. I will let it brine for 48 hours - putting the 3/4 of the ice in the bag (so it doesn't dilute) on top of the bird, and I usually end up replacing another 1/2-3/4 bag of ice after 12-24 hours depending on the time of the year to keep it cold. I use this brine on hams, briskets, butts, and chickens. I do have other brines..most of the time just a salt/sugar brine, but I do like the zing flavor this brine gives.

Reactions: whistlepig
I know chef jimmyj chef jimmyj has a brine for poultry but been too long since I've seen it or if it's in his signature... maybe he'll chime in with it.

Ryan

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Have used chef jimmyj chef jimmyj brine , very good.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky