Brine question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aztiger98

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
First time considering brining ribs before smoking. I am wanting to use apple juice. Do I need to add salt or sugar (since I'm not just using water), and if so, how much?

Also, will this affect my smoking the ribs via the 3-2-1 method as far as timing goes, and if so, how?

Sugar, probably not as the juice is full
Of it. Salt, yes. Salt is how the brine travels into the meat.

Guys much smarter than me will respond soon with specifics. They know these things.

Sugar, probably not as the juice is full
Of it. Salt, yes. Salt is how the brine travels into the meat.

Guys much smarter than me will respond soon with specifics. They know these things.
Thanks Sven. Also wondering how long I should plan to have the ribs in the brine...

I'm not sure it's common...I saw a reference to it a few days ago (not on here), thought it sounded interesting to try. Usually I just see it wrt roasts.

I may change my mind and just do the 3-2-1 without any pre-soak or brining...have to see.

Brined ribs? Blasphemy! :emoji_laughing:

Okay, so you want to brine some ribs. No problem. But, I wouldn't use just straight apple juice.
Try this for starters:
Makes enough brine for two racks of ribs.
6 cups water
3 cups apple juice or apple cider
1 cup white granulated sugar
1/3 cup kosher salt
Stir brine until salt and sugar are dissolved.
2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves (optional, but preferable)
Place ribs in a shallow nonreactive container and cover ribs with brine.
Soak ribs in brine 8 hours or overnight in the fridge.

Dry ribs with paper towels the following morning and apply rub. Using a binder for the rub is optional but yellow mustard is preferable or a light coat of EVOO.

Keep in mind that brined meat will cook faster. So if you use the 3-2-1 method for spares or 2-2-1 for baby backs you will need to adjust times so you don't end up with mushy ribs.
Personally, I would just smoke them naked (no wrap) until the ribs pass the bend test or the meat probes tender.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Brined ribs? Blasphemy! :emoji_laughing:

Okay, so you want to brine some ribs. No problem. But, I wouldn't use just straight apple juice.
Try this for starters:
Makes enough brine for two racks of ribs.
6 cups water
3 cups apple juice or apple cider
1 cup white granulated sugar
1/3 cup kosher salt
Stir brine until salt and sugar are dissolved.
2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves (optional, but preferable)
Place ribs in a shallow nonreactive container and cover ribs with brine.
Soak ribs in brine 8 hours or overnight in the fridge.

Dry ribs with paper towels the following morning and apply rub. Using a binder for the rub is optional but yellow mustard is preferable or a light coat of EVOO.

Keep in mind that brined meat will cook faster. So if you use the 3-2-1 method for spares or 2-2-1 for baby backs you will need to adjust times so you don't end up with mushy ribs.
Personally, I would just smoke them naked (no wrap) until the ribs pass the bend test or the meat probes tender.
I would generally agree with this, but I was sub in at least 1 cup of pineapple juice or other citrus juice such as orange or grapefruit , lime/lemon is good also.

Be aware also that companies like Smithfield offer enhanced ribs with a salt solution pumped into them, be aware and don’t use extra salt with these.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I would generally agree with this, but I was sub in at least 1 cup of pineapple juice or other citrus juice such as orange or grapefruit , lime/lemon is good also.

Be aware also that companies like Smithfield offer enhanced ribs with a salt solution pumped into them, be aware and don’t use extra salt with these.

Oh yeah! I forgot about pineapple or citrus juice.
Sometimes years ago, I used to do a mango/pineapple juice soak. But I have become more of a purist these days.

I also avoid ribs that are labeled as extra meaty or extra juicy (Smithfield) for that reason.

Oh yeah! I forgot about pineapple or citrus juice.
Sometimes years ago, I used to do a mango/pineapple juice soak. But I have become more of a purist these days.

I also avoid ribs that are labeled as extra meaty or extra juicy (Smithfield) for that reason.
We do a lot of carne asada type meats so we use citrus juice a lot. That pineapple is a meat tenderizer for sure, and the subtle flavors are excellent.

We do a lot of carne asada type meats so we use citrus juice a lot. That pineapple is a meat tenderizer for sure, and the subtle flavors are excellent.

MMMMM...carne asada...slapped and seared over hot mesquite coals, fresh pico and lime wedges on the side, warm tortillas...Sorry, I was daydreaming.
Citrus, pineapple, even papaya are all excellent natural tenderizers. For sure, it's about complementing the meat, not competing with it.

MMMMM...carne asada...slapped and seared over hot mesquite coals, fresh pico and lime wedges on the side, warm tortillas...Sorry, I was daydreaming.
Citrus, pineapple, even papaya are all excellent natural tenderizers. For sure, it's about complementing the meat, not competing with it.
Yes sir, but we have found that even just straight forward bbq, if we brine we brine with citrus and then cook as normal. The flavor is over the top. We also make glaze from fruit. Apricot being our favorite however, blackberry and peach have a roll as well. Mix with a little soy sauce and garlic and it’s a winner.

I've never wet brined ribs, but I would imagine that you stand a good chance of mushy meat syndrome if you go to long in the brine.

Chris
It’s all good Chris, keep in mind that “when it’s done it’s done” this goes for long cooks as well as shorter cooks. Pull the meat off when it’s done.

Yes sir, but we have found that even just straight forward bbq, if we brine we brine with citrus and then cook as normal. The flavor is over the top. We also make glaze from fruit. Apricot being our favorite however, blackberry and peach have a roll as well. Mix with a little soy sauce and garlic and it’s a winner.

I have yet to venture into making my own glazes and use the bottled stuff for now. It can be hit and miss with the bottled stuff; some do require a little QC to hit the flavor profile I'm looking for.
Last week, I ordered a bunch of stuff Stonewall Kitchen to try out. I couldn't beat 20% off and free shipping. Those will keep me busy for awhile.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky