Brine or Dry Rub Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sauceboss

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Fernandina Beach, Florida
I'm planning on smoking at least two Boston butts in the next couple of weeks and was wondering what everyone's take was on brining and dry rubs. I make my own rubs for bbq and typically put it on 24 hours prior to smoking. Should a piece of meat that large be brined? Does it make a discernible difference? Is it worth the time and refrigerator room?

By the way I brined a turkey once and had to use one side of my kitchen sink(it was in a bag no need to worry) but my wife (germiphobe) was dissatisfied with temperature that the brine went up to while we were at the store getting more supplies for dinner, so she wouldn't let any eat it if I cooked it. So brining outside of a fridge is out for now at least.

I rub my butts about an hour before putting them in the smoker. I don't know of any folks that brine a pork butt. I'm sure their are some, but I just don't know. If you're looking for a very moist piece of meat, try injecting. A lot of comp folks do that. I have injected before, but don't believe it to be necessary for a back yard cook.

I like the flavor a brine gives a butt. If you put some cure in it it will give it a hammy flavor,

Only needs to stay in the brine 24 hours, you also have to inject the brine into the butt, because it is so thick.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky