Brine for 30lb of smoked salmon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lspencer23

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 18, 2015
I have 30lb of king salmon that i need to smoke this weekend. I am looking for some suggestions of new brines as i am wanting to try something new this time. Also what is a good ratio of salt that i should use for that much? I usually use mortons. Canning and pickling salt.Or would it be better to break up the batches?

I'm not sure what your using now for a rub, but my go-to for salmon is pretty simple.

Per gallon of water add(disolved):

2 cups Kosher salt
1 cup B/S
1/2 a squeezed lemon
1 tablespoon each of garlic and onion powder.
1 teaspoon of white pepper.

Chris

I dry brine my Salmon, and usually only do 3 pound batches. (Because it comes from Sam's Club in a 3 pound bag.)
I brine overnight in the fridge.
1 cuppa Kosher Salt, 4 cuppa brown sugar. *
Rinse, dry, pelical, smoke 6 hours, using Bears Steps for temperature ramp up.
I can also recommend Bears recipe for smoked salmon.

* This is a very old way to cure Salmon, or about any fish. Very basic, and I like it for very basic Sm00ked Salmon for my Salmon Dip/Spread.

After it has cooled, I vacuum bag it with a sprinkle of Parsley flakes for use later and freeze. I also put my smoked, repackaged, salmon back in its original bag so I know when I done it.
Herb Good is where I gathered this method of dry brining.

(You can see I'm old school by my Blue, underlined Links I share.) :rolleyes:;)

I would do batches if I had 30 pounds of Salmon. Say 5 pound piles? That way you could try different recipes to find one you love.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky