Brine and Injection

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The final fridge product is all jello, so there is a huge amount of cellulose in there...

I'm thinking your Auto correct took the above highlighted word in a different direction then you intended.
I'm confident you already know this, but for those folks that may not...

Cellulose is the Indigestable Carbohydrate in Plant Cell Walls we call Fiber.

COLLAGEN, is the Protein is Skin, Cartilage and the Connective Tissue that holds Muscle Cells together and surrounds the individual Muscles. The more active the muscle the more Collagen and the tougher the meat will be.
When Collagen is heated, it denatured into Gelatin. This conversion is accelerated in the presence of moisture.
Gelatin gives that Luxurious, Silky Mouth Feel associated with Low and Slow Cooked Meat, Stocks, Broth, Soup, Stews and Braised dishes...JJ

Reactions: TuckersBarbeque
Speaking of Gelatin...
I made my Turkey Stock for Injection and Gravy little differently. The bones and veggies were Roasted at 450 until brown, about 40 minutes. I then added all to the pot, deglazed the roasting pan and covered with water. I brought the water just to a boil, skimmed the foam, as usual...BUT... Instead of simmering on the stove top, I covered the pot and put it in a 180°F oven. I let this cook 20 hours.
The result was amazingly Rich, Gelatinous, had a Deep Brown color with an Intense Turkey and Veg flavor. Much better than just simmering a few hours, stove top.
The silly part, I KNEW what the result of overnight Braising would be, but rarely do this because of being rushed. I have to get more organized...JJ😊

Reactions: TuckersBarbeque
Sounds very good JJ.
Started here, smoked the turkey bits in the pan for ~20 min while the water boiled on the stove. Then poured in the boiling water and continued to smoke for another 2 hours.
62802190617__04410E41-8C61-43C8-8370-A513B845E553.jpeg

Transferred to stove to simmer down the liquid level. ~3 hrs
IMG_0594.jpeg

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky