Brick build

Discussion in 'Brick Smokers' started by krabby patties, Apr 11, 2015.

1. krabby patties

krabby patties Smoke Blower

Got the fire box completed and sealed off the back wall. I started building the divider for the grill also before I ran out of mud.

2. Nice Looking Good

3. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Special mud needed for fire bricks?

4. krabby patties

If I were burning fires in it, yes. I used type S mortar since I'm not expecting to get that hot.

5. krabby patties

So, I've been thinking often enough about the shelf that I figured if I've not been able to stop thinking about it I will probably never be happy with it so I did some demo this morning and removed part of the center wall and front wall so I can lower the opening for the smoke cabinet, and create a ledge for the baffle to sit on.

6. krabby patties

Started on the smoke cabinet today.

Also trying to work out the grill layout.

7. Wow,    Nice      Gunna be a good one

Gary

8. wes w

wes w Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks awesome!    You got some serious brick skills man.    Good job!

9. krabby patties

Great idea with the canopy. We have one of those for the beach I'm gonna break out.

10. krabby patties

Thanks for all the kind words. How thin can I go with the doors. I'm trying to do this on the cheap. So far all I've bought is mortar and fire brick. I also bought the wood and hinges but that was like $5 total. I think I could find some diamond plate and weld some braces to keep it from flexing pretty cheap. Thick steel is high.

11. razor1049

razor1049 Newbie

Looks great! Can't wait to see your finished project!

12. krabby patties

Set up the tent and worked in the rain some today. Ready to start stepping the top.

13. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I am seriously impressed, the brick work, the dedication. You'll have this puppy seasoned and ready for the Memorial Day cookout! I am not too sure about that pink bucket though..... J/K.

I assume you've got your doors allready or are you going to make them?

Great job!

14. twoalpha

twoalpha Smoking Fanatic

That is some serious work and looking great.

Keep the updates coming.

15. wes w

I used 1/8in. for the doors.   Heavy enough they won't warp with the heat.     

You got some good progress going.   

16. krabby patties

BTW those stupid tents are not waterproof and humid rainy days and a leaky canopy you need dry mortar on hand to keep thickening it up as you go. The mud pan kept getting to thin even under the tent.

17. krabby patties

Starten on the chimney some today.

18. Nice   Looking Good 

Gary

19. wes w

LOL!    I've never used my tent in the rain, just to keep the sun off things when doing an event.   

Smoker looks really good!    I can almost smell the pork!   Your neighbors are gone'a love you man!! 

20. krabby patties

A couple without the canopy. Looks better in the open. Getting exited about getting done and cleaning up the mess.