Breakfast smorgasbord for supper

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Love the new forum. Your posts over the last couple days made me crave some breakfast. I am not big on breakfast in the morning but I sure will tear it up for supper!! I have planned for some time now to create a keto version of sausage gravy and biscuits to go along with all the other goodies. I decided today was as good a day as any to give it a go.

First up I need some biscuits. I use chaffles often for stuff like this but I really wanted something very close to a standard biscuit. I found a biscuit recipe that looked pretty promising and it did not disappoint.

Low Carb Cheddar Biscuits
  • 4 large Eggs
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Baking powder
  • 1 cup Shredded cheddar cheese
biscuit ingredients.jpg

First melt the butter after which you whip it together with the eggs until you see nice fine bubbles. I mix the salt and baking powder with the coconut flour to better distribute it and then fold everything in and mix well until it comes together into a nice biscuit dough.
biscuit dough finished.jpg

I used a large cookie scooper and divided the dough out into six balls that I then pressed a bit into biscuit shape. They were put on parchment paper lightly sprayed with Pam. Baked at 400F for 15 minutes. I may have went a tad longer to get a nice golden top. These will be warmed later but I had to eat one immediately hot out of the oven. Delicious!!
finished cheddar biscuits.jpg

Next up time to turn the attention to attempting to create sausage gravy. First step of that is to brown up some of my homemade sage breakfast sausage. Once browned I am going to set it aside and focus on the gravy portion. I will bring them back together at the end.
sausage frying.jpg

Many of the recipes online call for xanthan gum and various other methods. I have tried cream gravy from them before and just didn't like them. The last few times I made cheese sauces for dishes it occured to me the white base I mix cheese into would perhaps make a good base for sausage gravy. Based on that the basic ingredients would be heavy white cream, almond flour, butter, cream cheese and of course pepper salt.
gravy cream ingredients.jpg

I started out making a roux with roughly 5 tablespoons of butter and 4 tbsp. of almond flour. I really do this part by look and feel so those quantities are a good starting point.
roux.jpg

Once the roux looked right I added about 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream stirring constantly over medium heat. As I stirred I added in a liberal amount of coarse pepper and a bit of salt to taste. I didn't add a lot of salt as I figured it would get quite a bit from the sausage. Once i had a nice consistent mix I added in about 4 oz. of cream cheese cut in smaller pieces. I again kept stirring with the whisk until I had a nice creamy smooth texture. The taste of the cream cheese is neutral in the sauce. This will be a staple for me moving forward to anything that would use a white gravy. I can definitely see using this with chipped beef!
gravy in process.jpg

I added the sausage back in and let it cook on low for awhile to meld the flavors a bit. Poured off into a bowl to again clean the CI skillet to start on eggs.

finished gravy.jpg

On the downhill run. While I did not capture pics of it I put a pound each of my home made buckboard and belly bacon in the oven. After that it was on to the eggs. The scrambled eggs were going to be made up adding whatever goodness I could find in the frig. That ended up being diced onion, some leftover roasted garlic I diced, a few minced serranos and some shredded cheddar. Got out some butter to cook everything in.
egg ingredients.jpg

I put some of the butter in my cast iron skillet and threw in the onions, garlic and serranos first. I wanted to soften them up nice before adding the eggs to the mix.
cooking veggies.jpg

I added a little bit of heavy cream to the eggs along with some pepper and whipped them up a bit. Into the skillet they went. Once everything was pretty close to done I topped it with cheese. Moved them to a dish to keep warm waiting on my wife to get home.

eggs finished.jpg

Well she rolled in so here it is all plated up. It was all very tasty but I will say as a keto diet family the biscuits and gravy was a homerun!! This whole plate really hit the spot!
plated 2.jpg

Well that's a wrap folks!! Thanks for looking!

That looks great. Even a meal I would eat and I dont do keto. I should thou.

Reactions: jcam222
Looks real good! Those biscuits look great! I bet those would work well as a cheader bay biscuit sub for the ones you get at red lobster! Just need to brush them with an herbed butter or dip in some good infused oils. I think the definition of a true cook is to be able to make a first class meal with what you have on hand. With the keto diet this is basicly what you have been challenged with and your killing it man! BIG LIKE!

Wow jcam, it looks like a homerun. I think you hit it out of the park! You did a great job making it keto friendly, not sure I could do that. Guess I'm glad I'm on the see food diet...I see food and I eat it.

Big like!
Ryan

Congrats jcam, you hit it so far it landed on the carousel!

Good job and well deserved
Ryan

I'm not sure what keto is but with bacon, eggs, biscuits, and sausage gravy all made from scratch that sure looks like one all-star breakfast to me! Big Like. RAY

I would gladly eat that being on Keto or not...those biscuits look so good!!

I tried Keto once but was only able to stick with it for about 2 weeks before the wheels came off. Are you on it permanently or do you stop once a target weight has been reached?

Great addition to the breakfast forum.

Looks great Jeff! I don't do keto either but I could down a plate of that in a heartbeat! Congrats on the carousel ride! You have been killing it lately!

Must be something in the air, we did breakfast for dinner last night too. Not nearly as involved as yours though. Ours was just chili & cheese omelets and home fried 'taters. Yummy though. Yours looks great.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!! Gorgeous meal, excellent looking food, and a beautiful presentation!! Hats off to you my friend and congrats on the carousel ride. You may have done two huge services to SMF with this post:

1) Letting folks who are either on the Keto diet or considering giving it a try in one some really good food they they may not have otherwise known about

2) Bringing some much needed attention to the new Breakfast sub-forum.

Beautiful....just beautiful,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky