Breakfast & Rib Roast Thoughts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I woke up about three this morning and was laying in bed thinking about how to cook a boneless ribeye roast for our Xmas party in a few weeks. In between thoughts I was hankering for French toast and bacon, so I got out of bed and got busy in the kitchen after some coffee to wake up.
DSCN0938.JPG

With brekky out of the way I'm now returning all my attention back to that rib roast. I've got two boneless rib roasts in the freezer 6 and 7 pounds. There will be nine of us, tho two don't eat meat. I thought of Sous Vide, it's foolproof and the roast would be done to perfection, but there's no smoke flavor. I was thinking of doing it on the SQ36 (kind of my dream) but the challenges of time constraints with company coming over have me a little leery of using the stick burner. I'm thinking if a smoke it for about three hours at 175º on the Pro 100 and then raise the smoker temp up to 220º and shut the vents I can maybe hit a IT of 132º in about seven hours. The whole concept of having the roast ready too soon, or even worse, too late with everyone waiting around for it to get to temp, makes me a little nervous. Guess I'll just keep thinking, sometimes when I do that I actually have thoughts! RAY

I woke up about three this morning and was laying in bed thinking about how to cook a boneless ribeye roast for our Xmas party in a few weeks. In between thoughts I was hankering for French toast and bacon, so I got out of bed and got busy in the kitchen after some coffee to wake up.
View attachment 412442
With brekky out of the way I'm now returning all my attention back to that rib roast. I've got two boneless rib roasts in the freezer 6 and 7 pounds. There will be nine of us, tho two don't eat meat. I thought of Sous Vide, it's foolproof and the roast would be done to perfection, but there's no smoke flavor. I was thinking of doing it on the SQ36 (kind of my dream) but the challenges of time constraints with company coming over have me a little leery of using the stick burner. I'm thinking if a smoke it for about three hours at 175º on the Pro 100 and then raise the smoker temp up to 220º and shut the vents I can maybe hit a IT of 132º in about seven hours. The whole concept of having the roast ready too soon, or even worse, too late with everyone waiting around for it to get to temp, makes me a little nervous. Guess I'll just keep thinking, sometimes when I do that I actually have thoughts! RAY

Hi Ray!
You made a Great choice by NOT using SV on Prime Rib. It doesn't treat the fat the way you want it. Smoking it is much better, and if you keep your smoker Temp below 250° the whole time, you can get Beautiful Pink meat from Bark to Bark. I use 220° every time nowadays.
Here's a few to check out:
Smoked Prime Rib (49th Anniversary Dinner)
Smoked Prime Rib (First of 2017)
Smoked Prime Rib (Apple Smoke)
Smoked Prime Rib (New Best Ever)
Smoked Prime Rib (Another One)

BTW---Nice looking French Bread with Maple Syrup. About once a month I veer off from my Eggs to a plate like that.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Maybe smoke it 2-3 hours at 225 and then sous vide? Quick sear on the grill at the end?

Now there's a thought that never crossed my mind, thanks Jcam! That'd be pretty much be the best of both worlds, getting some smoke flavor and not having to worry one bit about doneness. Any idea as to how long something like this would sit in the Sous Vide bath? I've read where some of you guys Sous Vide large hunks of meat for 24-30 hours, I could even start the ribeye the night before, sear it with the blowtorch. Yeah, thanks again, that just might be the way to go! RAY

Hi Ray!
You made a Great choice by NOT using SV on Prime Rib. It doesn't treat the fat the way you want it. Smoking it is much better, and if you keep your smoker Temp below 250° the whole time, you can get Beautiful Pink meat from Bark to Bark. I use 220° every time nowadays.
Here's a few to check out:
Smoked Prime Rib (49th Anniversary Dinner)
Smoked Prime Rib (First of 2017)
Smoked Prime Rib (Apple Smoke)
Smoked Prime Rib (New Best Ever)
Smoked Prime Rib (Another One)

BTW---Nice looking French Bread with Maple Syrup. About once a month I veer off from my Eggs to a plate like that.
Nice Job! Like. Bear

Thanks Bear, I guess I'll scrap that last post. Now I'm gonna check out those prime smokes you posted and go with the Pro 100. Temps can vary a little too much on the SQ36 for me to have any confidence using that. Thanks again! RAY

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
I hear you there John! After checking the Bear's recipes I think I already have everything on hand to pull this off, I'll go with apple wood chips in the Pro 100, probably pull at 132º and the carryover will put me right where I want to be. I had no idea that Sous Vide would have a negative effect on the prime fat and was all set to go there. Bear saves the day, and a seven pound boneless prime! RAY

I’m kind of curious as to what sous vide does to the fat? I’ve done two rib roasts sous vide with hot sear after. Folks devoured it.

Last edited:
Ray, I think Bear has the right idea, looks like he has had quite a lot of experience with that piece of meat.

Bear is the Godfather of prime rib. Follow his sage advice and you won't go wrong. The other option would be for you to bring them to my house and I'll cook them for you....but I'd need to do an in-depth quality control test before letting you take them home :emoji_wink:

Chivalry is not dead,
Robert

I hear you there John! After checking the Bear's recipes I think I already have everything on hand to pull this off, I'll go with apple wood chips in the Pro 100, probably pull at 132º and the carryover will put me right where I want to be. I had no idea that Sous Vide would have a negative effect on the prime fat and was all set to go there. Bear saves the day, and a seven pound boneless prime! RAY

Notice: If you do it like mine @ 220° Smoker Temp, don't pull it more than 4° below what you want to finished IT to be. It will only carry-over 2° to 4° at that Smoker Temp.

Bear

Reactions: jcam222
I’m kind of curious as to what sous vide does to the fat? I’ve done two rib roasts sous vide with hot sear after. Folks devoured it.

If you SV a Fatty Prime Rib, the only fat that will be edible (IMHO) is Fat close enough to the surface to get hit hard with the sear. All other Fat will have the texture of Raw Fat.
However I like my Meat Med-Rare, and my Fat Well Done.
Maybe you sear hotter than I'm capable of, so your Fat gets done more than mine during the sear.

Bear

Reactions: jcam222
If you SV a Fatty Prime Rib, the only fat that will be edible (IMHO) is Fat close enough to the surface to get hit hard with the sear. All other Fat will have the texture of Raw Fat.
However I like my Meat Med-Rare, and my Fat Well Done.
Maybe you sear hotter than I'm capable of, so your Fat gets done more than mine during the sear.

Bear
Good info Bear. I think I was close to 500F on my sear. The other thing was they seemed pretty lean on the intra muscle fat. This Christmas I am going to be doing one or two in the smoker using one of your guides. I do love it medium rare as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky