Breakfast monte cristo? I' am all in lol...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
I seen this in my FB feed though I would share.

RECIPE
Monte Cristo with Raspberry Jam

Ingredients
1 cup Farmer John Bacon, chopped
12 slices Farmer John Ham
1 loaf of brioche bread
6 eggs, scrambled
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 slices Gruyere cheese
6 slices Swiss cheese
1 jar raspberry jam
Dijon & multi grain mustard
Confectioner sugar, for dusting
Maple syrup
Fried egg, optional on top

Instructions
1. Cook bacon according to directions. Chop & set aside.
2. Beat eggs & heavy cream in a shallow dish (large enough to fit a sandwich) along with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
3. Place two slices of brioche bread on a flat surface. Spread mustard on one slice and raspberry jam on the other.
4. Add 2 slices of ham, 1 oz chopped bacon, 1 slice gruyere cheese, 1 slice Swiss cheese on top of the mustard and cover the cheese with the other part of the sandwich. Repeat with the rest of the bread to make 6 sandwiches.
5. Heat skillet large enough to cook 2 sandwiches at a time over medium heat. Add butter; allow to melt.
6. Dip and coat each sandwich in beaten egg, and place in skillet. Cook sandwiches 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cheese has melted.
7. Cut in half, and place 2 halves on each plate. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with a side of maple syrup.
8. Pro tip: Want to go the extra mile? Add a fried egg on top!

breakfest monte cristo.jpg

THAT brings back some awesome memories.

negolien negolien sound easy enough, but yours looks Great! thanks for the inspiration.

Don

I was a Bennigan's manager in the early 90s. The Monte Cristo was very labor intensive. The meat was sliced in-house and portioned. The sandwiches were made 2-3 days ahead of time and wrapped in saran wrap so the bread would get a bit soggy. That way at point of sale, the batter held the sandwich together as it went in the fryer for 5 minutes.

Man, I loved those things. Ate way too many of them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky