Breakfast Links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So to cook these links you just fry them in a pan? How do you know when they’re cooked through? I thought the store bought’s are precooked and you just heat them up?

And why are breakfast links considered easier than smoked sausage? I really want to do smoked sausage but most people are saying I need to start with fresh sausage first. Just wondering why.

So to cook these links you just fry them in a pan? How do you know when they’re cooked through? I thought the store bought’s are precooked and you just heat them up?
Uhhhh, these are fresh sausage, not brown and serve.

And why are breakfast links considered easier than smoked sausage? I really want to do smoked sausage but most people are saying I need to start with fresh sausage first. Just wondering why.
Fresh sausage is easier for a beginner because you don’t have to do the smoking process, just make, cook and eat. You do cook? Correct?

Uhhhh, these are fresh sausage, not brown and serve.

Fresh sausage is easier for a beginner because you don’t have to do the smoking process, just make, cook and eat. You do cook? Correct?
Haha, yes, I cook...barely. I just thought I was missing something with everyone cautioning against going straight to the smoked sausage. I bought a new MES specifically for smoked sausage so I'm sure I'll gravitate there fairly quickly. I don't mind the smoking process; in fact it's the part I enjoy. Mixing up fresh sausage just doesn't seem that interesting to me, but I guess I'll start there. The stuffing process is really the part that's most intimidating. So let me ask you this, what skills will I learn by making a fresh sausage that will aide my ability to make smoked sausages? Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
So let me ask you this, what skills will I learn by making a fresh sausage that will aide my ability to make smoked sausages?
It’s the process. Meat selection, grinding, spice selection, mixing and getting good protein extraction, casing prep, the stuffing. It’s all a fluid process to making a quality sausage. If you can nail the process for fresh sausage then when stepping into cured sausage you have many steps already covered and can now focus on curing and the smoking process. If there is a problem it will be a new one and not part of the base process so it’s easier to identify and fix the new problem.

Think of fresh sausage as the foundation. What happens if you build a fantastic building on a failing foundation? Get the foundation right, then move to the next build.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky