Bread-n-Butter Pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

timstalltaletav

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Llewellyn PA aka God's Country
While I was busy making copious amounts of Al's garlic dill pickles, I decided to try a batch of Bread-n-Butter pickles. Recipe follows below. These are probably some of my favorite pickles and I actually saved the recipe his time. Sorry no Q-view on these, I'll get some on the next batch this weekend.

I forgot how much I love pickles!

Recipe:

1/2 onion, thinly sliced - I used my mandolin and a plain white onion

2-3 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced again on the mandolin

1 cup water
1 cup cider vinegar
1.5 cups sugar
1 TBS kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon pickling spice

Combine onion and cucumber slices in a medium size (1qt) Foodsaver canister.

Combine the remaining ingredients bring to a boil for a few minutes .

Pour the hot liquid and spices over the onion and cucumber slices, filling the jar (I had some room left in the jar, about an inch or so). Allow the pickles to cool to room temperature, then vacuum seal and park in the fridge.

I just tried mine after 5 days and they are great! I imagine they'll only get better with time.

Note: since you're slicing these cucumbers thin, they won't be super crispy like the garlic dill recipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: poopypuss

Next time you make these, slide a couple habanero peppers across the mandolin.

Trust me, you'll never want another pickle on your burger.

Plus, you'll be asked if there are carrots in your pickles.

Yeah, dried chilis, like they use in Famous Dave's Pickles and the Vlasic "artisan" pickles, don't work.

This season, I'm going to make a batch with Carolina Reaper Peppers sliced in. I had a bumper crop last year, so this year should be just as good.

Your really working that vac canister!

Looks like a great recipe!

Al
Al, I saw this post and looked at your updated post using the vac seal canister.

I have both the regular and wide mouth vac seal adapter for mason jars.

Am I right in thinking a quart mason jar would work instead of the canister so the pickling time is reduced to just a few days?

Al, I saw this post and looked at your updated post using the vac seal canister.

I have both the regular and wide mouth vac seal adapter for mason jars.

Am I right in thinking a quart mason jar would work instead of the canister so the pickling time is reduced to just a few days?
Yes you are correct, as long as it's under vacuum it will pickle much faster.

It doesn't matter what kind of container you use.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky