Bread Again/Not SD

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Found a recipe to try that is a non sd starter.

Going to make first to see how it bakes before I post the recipe.

IMG_5824.jpg

See you in 18 hours.
IMG_5825.jpg

Turned out pretty good. The new pan worked great.
nbp2.JPG

nbp3.jpg

nbp4.JPG

nbp5.jpg

nbp6.JPG

IMG_5847.JPG

Don't even taste the apple cider vinegar.
IMG_5855.JPG

Recipe.

4 cups all-purpose or bread flour (512g)

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon instant yeast

1 1/2 cups room temperature water

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Olive or vegetable oil..only for the side of dutch just in case the dough spreads to the sides or use parchment. I didnt use either.

INSTRUCTIONS​

Whisk together the flour, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl. Combine the water and vinegar in a measuring cup. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour the water mixture into the well. Use a spatula or your hands to stir the flour and liquid until no dry flour remains and a dry shaggy dough is formed. Cover bowl tightly with a pot lid or plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for at least 12 hours and up to 18 hours.
Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured work surface. Use floured hands to gently lift the edges of the dough into the center. Turn the dough over and shape it into a tight ball – the tighter the better – by rolling it on the work surface between your palms.
Rub the bottom and sides of a Dutch oven with a little bit of oil. Put the dough in the center of the pot and place the lid on. Allow the dough to rise again, about 1-2 hours (less if it’s very hot and humid, more if it’s cold) until the dough is about double in size and mostly fills the pot.
During the last 30 minutes of rising, preheat oven to 450°F. When ready to bake, score the bread with a sharp knife or razor, making an X or a hash mark. This will allow the dough to expand freely. Cover the pot and place it in the oven.
After 30 minutes, remove the lid, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F, and continue baking for another 15-20 minutes until the bread is nicely browned and cooked through. It should have an internal temperature of approximately 200°F when done. Allow the bread to rest on a rack for at least 30 minutes so that the interior finishes cooking.

IT needs to be between 205-210

Nice lookin' loaf . I'll be doing that one later in the week .
I have batch of sourdough that just got the last stretch and fold . Hoping I get some rise out of it .

Looks good and I like that pot. Just saw one on Marketplace that looked similar. I'm guessing that the acid in the vinegar gave it a little tang. I'm going to try that one. I love no-knead recipes!

I was thinking oh this is going to be vinegary, Its not cant even taste it, sorta slight sour taste. I will make it again

Looks good and I like that pot. Just saw one on Marketplace that looked similar. I'm guessing that the acid in the vinegar gave it a little tang. I'm going to try that one. I love no-knead recipes!
Just make sure the pan didnt come from Aldi, couple weeks ago they had a run on these type of bread ovens for $19.95 but lots are chipping now.

Reactions: kelbro
BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker are there any links you can send me that i can read for the process of bread making, sourdough making, any resources that you use just so i can get a grasp of the process?
Just google these.
The pantry mama
Clever carrot
Little spoon farm

All user first time friendly

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky