Brazilian Feast Featuring Picanha Sirloin Roast (Mega Q-View))

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Certified Piedmontese Beef is expanding their offerings and recently started offering the Picanha Sirloin Roast, which is the quintessential meat served at high end Brazilian steak houses. I was chatting with Joe at CPB one day while placing an order and he mentioned these roasts and sang the accolades about them so I added one to my order. A couple days later he emailed me saying that CPB and Sunterra Outdoor Products (the company I got my Santa Maria frill from) were doing a joint promotion and asked if I'd be willing to cook the Picanha roast on the SM grill, preferably with the rotisserie, take pics, and share them with him for the promotion. Sure...I've shared a lot of my threads featuring CPB with him so this was no different. A few emails later and after considerable discussion this turned into a full blown Brazilian feast. A bit of a daunting task being that it's WAY outside of my wheelhouse but I figured I'd give it a go and see what happens. Tons of research and many hours or reading later, I finally decided on the menu:

Appetizer #1
Ensalada de Palmas
(Heart of palm salad with an amazing tropical homemade dressing)

Appetizer #2
Albondiga y de Cerdo con Salsa de Queso
(Pork meatballs with cheesy cream sauce...rough translation. They were served over a bed of garlic and herb couscous)

Main course:
Picanha Asado a la Parrilla con chimichurri
(Grilled Picanha roast with chimichurri)

Tomates y Cebollas Asados
(Roasted tomatoes and onions. I used pearl onions and cherry tomatoes)

Pao de Queijo
(Brazilian cheese bread)

Dessert:
Pudim de Leite
(Brazilian flan)

Are y'all impressed with all the glowing verbiage? Well don't be. I know one word of Spanish: cerveza. The rest I had to use Google to translate for me. I did not take progress pics of everything because it would have made for about 400 pics and taken me three days to post being that everything was homemade, down to and including the caramel sauce for the flan and the dressing for the salad.

The roast. Sliced the fat cap and dry brined for two days with Pink Himalayan Sea Salt and black pepper
IMG_5584.JPG

IMG_5585.JPG

I started prepping and getting things ready on Friday which included making the flan. Ready to go into the oven.
IMG_5587.JPG

While the flan was baking I chopped up the pork, seasoned it, and mixed it up for the meatballs. This went into the fridge till the next day
IMG_5589.JPG

Flan finished baking. Let cool then put in the fridge overnight
IMG_5591.JPG

Saturday: start with the chimichurri. Never made it before and never eaten it before. Wanted to get it done first so if it was a disaster I had time to improvise
IMG_5592.JPG

Pearl onions marinating in EVOO, garlic, and black pepper
IMG_5593.JPG

The dough made for the cheese bread and formed into balls as tradition requires...or so I'm told. Ready to go into the oven.
IMG_5595.JPG

Cheese bread all done
IMG_5596.JPG

Meatballs all formed up and ready to cook
IMG_5599.JPG

Getting the tomatoes and onions ready to go on the grill later. Huge shout out to Bearcarver Bearcarver for the zig zag skewers!!
IMG_5603.JPG

Meatballs done. They were pretty lean and made a mess of the skillet. Oh well...Tracy does the dishes :emoji_laughing:
IMG_5609.JPG

My favorite part of the meal!!
IMG_5611.JPG

Getting the roast ready to go on the grill
IMG_5615.JPG

And we're off!!
IMG_5618.JPG

The flan has chilled overnight and ready to remove from the pan. A lot of the caramel stuck to the bottom of the pan so I scraped it out and drizzled it around and on top.
IMG_5606.JPG

Getting the cheesy cream sauce going for the meatballs
IMG_5633.JPG

Progress pic of the roast
IMG_5627.JPG

Tracy got the dining room all set up pretty
IMG_5635.JPG

Last thing was to make the salad. Wanted to keep it as fresh as possible
IMG_5637.JPG

Time to start eating. The first course was the heart of palm salad
IMG_5642.JPG

Second course was the pork meatballs with the cheese sauce and couscous
IMG_5644.JPG

Just before serving the meatballs I put the tomato and onion skewers on the grill
IMG_5647.JPG

Roast all done
IMG_5649.JPG

I put the CI pan in the oven at 125 for a while to put the sliced roast on. That would keep it warm without cooking it any more
IMG_5654.JPG

Skewers all done
IMG_5657.JPG

Main course served
IMG_5658.JPG

Dessert. The flan served with Tepache, which is a fermented pineapple cocktail that I made a couple weeks ago in the same manner as making beer
IMG_5664.JPG

Well folks, that's it....finally. This meal was a HUGE amount of work but I'll say without reservation is was the best meal I think I've ever put together. Tracy felt the same way, right up to the point she had to start washing dishes :emoji_laughing: Every aspect of it came out fantastic. I did a trial run earlier in the week with the flan and the cheese bread just to work out any kinks and I'm glad I did. The end result was far better than the first attempts of either. Hats off to CPB tough for offering another spectacular cut of meat. Those will be a staple in the freezer along with a couple others I keep on hand. Several of the things I made for this one will become part of our regular rotation, especially the heart of palm salad and the dressing, which I stole from either Joe ( xray xray ) or Jeff ( jcam222 jcam222 ). Sorry guys, can't remember which of you, maybe both, posted this but it's been bookmarked for a while and finally got around to making. Need to tag one more person. Our good friend John ( chilerelleno chilerelleno ) for some reason has a particular interest in this meal and I'd like to make sure he sees it. Well, this one is finally a wrap. Now back to your regularly scheduled program....

Be safe out there y'all!!
Robert

Last edited:
200.gif

Simply outstanding. Looks like a ton of work buddy but it all paid off in the end! Great job on everything. Especially that roast. Good to see the SM grill out again too!

To call that a feast is an understatement. More like a culinary carnival! It looks like everyone really enjoyed it and that must have been something to sit at your table. Everything looks delicious!

That hearts of palm salad is all Jeff.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Woohoo wut a meal!
Robert mi amigo, that is a fantastic dinner.
The Picanha looks damned good, as does the Flan.
I :emoji_hearts: Flan, and it has me salivating... Not that I should be eating it, unfortunately.

And Tracy sets a beautiful table too, gorgeous dinnerware all around.

So are CPB and SOP using your pics for promo advertising?

Again, fantastic meal!

tenor.gif

It's all absolutely incredible Robert, like something someone might be lucky enough to see on TV. I'm not going to bookmark this, only due to the fact I'd never work that much to pull off a meal, but I sure as heck give it a huge Like! RAY

Chef Robert does it again!! This looks amazing and I'm glad you enjoyed the picahna. It has quickly become one of my favorites as well, especially given its economical price point. Anything out of the sirloin from the Piedmontese breed is down right special, and I'm glad you enjoyed our spec on the classic picanha roast! Cheers, Robert!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Simply outstanding. Looks like a ton of work buddy but it all paid off in the end! Great job on everything. Especially that roast. Good to see the SM grill out again too!

Thanks John!! Yes it was a lot of work but you're right that it was all justified in the end. don't know that I'll be doing that meal again this weekend but maybe sometime in the future if something REALLY special comes up.

Robert

To call that a feast is an understatement. More like a culinary carnival! It looks like everyone really enjoyed it and that must have been something to sit at your table. Everything looks delicious!

Carnival? Fiasco? Debacle? I have no clue but it was a long, drawn-out effort that paid great dividends in the end. Would have been proud to have you at the table, that's for sure. Maybe one day....

That hearts of palm salad is all Jeff.

Thanks. I'll try to remember that. I've gotten so much info from so many people it's hard sometimes to remember who all the ideas have come from.

Robert

Woohoo wut a meal!
Robert mi amigo, that is a fantastic dinner.
The Picanha looks damned good, as does the Flan.

Thanks so much Chile!! The roast was about as nice as I could ask for and the flan was actually very easy to make. The neighbor lady about fell out of her chair. Lie you, she loves the stuff and took what was left home with her and had it for breakfast the next morning. Me...I'd never had it before believe it or not.

And Tracy sets a beautiful table too, gorgeous dinnerware all around.

She said thank you!! I showed this to her and she got that radiant smile that only a woman can generate.

So are CPB and SOP using your pics for promo advertising?

As far as I know, yes, that's the plan. I have all the pics on a flash drive I'll be sending to Joe at CPB but I have no idea to what extent the promo will go. Kinda looking forward to seeing what they can do with the pics. Although I used the digital camera I was extremely disappointed with the quality of them.

Robert

It's all absolutely incredible Robert, like something someone might be lucky enough to see on TV.

Thanks so much Ray. This is the first time all year I've pulled out the stops and did a really nice meal. Done some good stuff but nothing on this level for a long time. Felt good to finally get to sit down and enjoy it after two days of cooking :emoji_wink:

Robert

Absolutely amazing as usual man! I love your posts and posts like this :)

Just amazing Robert! Truly an awesome meal and I can tell there was alot of time spent on it. And I'll be honest, never had flan either, or know what it is or was till I saw your pics. :emoji_blush: Hope your pics show up on some of their promotions...that would be just too cool!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky