Bratwurst Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef willie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 31, 2010
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Was jonesing for some Brats on the grill so fished out an old recipe for a batch. I must say these were a HUGE hit at the VFW with beers and spicy mustard. Probably some of the best Brats I've made, perhaps from the NFDM & milk addition rather than using the usual beer (?). Regardless, stayed very moist with a great snap from the Waltons 32/25 MM hog casings and I got bonus points from the GF who ate TWO while congratulating me for finally making something not flaming hot that she could enjoy. Go figure.....Willie

5 pounds of pork cushion from Cash & Carry I scored for $1.28 a boneless pound, ground once through fine plate

1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground white pepper
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon ground caraway seed
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon granulated garlic

1 teaspoon of Cure #1

1 cup of NFDM

1 cup of milk that all dry goodies were dissolved in for mixing

Mixed all and rested overnight, stuffed next morning and air dried about an hour. Poached in beer till about 145 IT, finished on the grill over Kingsford Competition brix

Wow! Those look awesome! Definitely going to try out that recipe!  I have been itching to try using that cushion for sausage.  Restaurant Depot around here has that same deal so I may just have to go buy a case hahaha Points!!!

Man they look good.

Thanks for the recipe

Awesome brats, Willie!

Gonna have to try your recipe, it looks like a good one!

POINTS!

Al

Wow! Those look awesome! Definitely going to try out that recipe!  I have been itching to try using that cushion for sausage.  Restaurant Depot around here has that same deal so I may just have to go buy a case hahaha Points!!!

Great Post!  thank you.   Keepin this one to try as well.
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I neglected to mention when making these to eat I gently poached/simmered them to about IT 145 and finished on the grill, indirect heat, to mark them and crisp them up. I believe it helps to avoid blow outs while on the grill....Willie

They look great to me,I copied and saved the recipe Thanks points

Richie

Alright I know I'm a little slow and have never made this type sausage but what is pork cushion and nfdm sorry if I missed it somewhere

Nice lookin' brats!!! 
drool.gif

Threads like this are pushing closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a grinder and stuffer. 
icon_eek.gif

Alright I know I'm a little slow and have never made this type sausage but what is pork cushion and nfdm sorry if I missed it somewhere
NFDM is short for non fat dried milk. it's used as a binder to keep the link moist, usual rule of thumb is 1 cup for 5 pounds of meat. Some use soy protein, I prefer the NFDM. Pork cushion comes off the front leg of the piggy, the 'picnic' cut. Here's a pic of it courtesy of Pops.....
to the Right of the line is the 'cushion'. Mexican restaurants use it a lot in the kitchens. Hey, never be sorry for asking questions on here.....we all have asked 1,000's in our time...LOL
Wow Chef, they look awesome ! Very nice !
icon14.gif
Thank you, thank you...very tasty

Nice brats Chef.......

Inquiring minds want to know....... that's a strange looking wooden mixing spoon or is it an optical illusion?
Hey Goldy....that's my 'sausage spoon' used to jam the cold meat into the Lem stuffer...LOL. An old bygone friend brought it back from Poland for me years ago. Hand carved, originally used for soups I believe. Regardless, while dislodging a ladle full into the stuffer one day I hit the edge and chipped it. I was really pissed at myself....Willie

Nice lookin' brats!!! 
drool.gif

Threads like this are pushing closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a grinder and stuffer. 
icon_eek.gif

Yep, I know that feeling....how I wound up with a pellet smoker!! I'm still using my Kitchen Aid grinding attachment but am looking into other grinders now. I'm very happy with the Lem line as are others on here. I'm a big fan of 'buy once, cry once' avoiding the cheaper gear that I would have to replace. Somebody turned me on to this outfit and their prices are pretty decent compared to the Lem website. If nothing else, use as comparison pricing. Good luck...http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/hunting/game--food-processing/grinders

Very nice, Willie! I haven't made brats yet for some reason. Other than Italian & Kielbasa the Mrs hasn't been much impressed with my creations. I know she likes brats on the grill and now I have a recipe.
Thanks and points!
Dan

Very nice, Willie! I haven't made brats yet for some reason. Other than Italian & Kielbasa the Mrs hasn't been much impressed with my creations. I know she likes brats on the grill and now I have a recipe.
Thanks and points!
Dan
HAH.....they are funny creatures, no? Mine likes a 'few' things I crank out....the Brats were a hit, surprising me. Some pepper stix I make she likes as well, although not much into the sausages. She loves that Landjaeger though at 15 bucks a pound.....go figure <grin>

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky