Brand New WSM 22.5 Owner w/questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JunkyardJoe

Original poster
Aug 26, 2018
NW IOWA
Hey all, just finished setting up my new WSM 22.5in. I am super pumped to get cooking on this thing! I was going to buy a Horizon offset but decided on the WSM and some cash left to grab a few accessories. A couple questions to anyone willing to offer advice:

1. Is there any point in seasoning a WSM? Or just rinse off and heat it up good once?

2. I am contemplating grabbing a gasket kit. Will it be easier to put on before cooking anything? I probably won't be smoking anything on it until later in the week so I have time if so.

3. Is it worth it to get a BBQ Guru? Is there a different brand/model which anyone likes better?

4. Any suggestions on setting up the fire? Minion method/snake method etc? If so a link to a youtube video or explanation/pictures would be awesome!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hey all, just finished setting up my new WSM 22.5in. I am super pumped to get cooking on this thing! I was going to buy a Horizon offset but decided on the WSM and some cash left to grab a few accessories. A couple questions to anyone willing to offer advice:

1. Is there any point in seasoning a WSM? Or just rinse off and heat it up good once?

2. I am contemplating grabbing a gasket kit. Will it be easier to put on before cooking anything? I probably won't be smoking anything on it until later in the week so I have time if so.

3. Is it worth it to get a BBQ Guru? Is there a different brand/model which anyone likes better?

4. Any suggestions on setting up the fire? Minion method/snake method etc? If so a link to a youtube video or explanation/pictures would be awesome!

Thanks in advance for any help!

1) No seasoning needed just wash off your grates.

2) Run through a couple of smokes before you go out and spend money on mods like gaskets. See if your smoker really needs them. I've been running mine for a while now w/o any gaskets, fancy doors or guru's. Note: a guru may be helpfull if you like overnight smokes. I don't do the overnighters so I don't really see the need.

3) see above #2

4) Minion method. Snake is geared more toward the kettle. Unless you want to smoke at 225* or less.

Others will chime in with their thoughts, and nobody is really wrong or right. It's just what works best for you. Also before you wonder/ask - I also don't use water in my water pan. To me it's a waste of coals heating it up. My WSM runs steady at 250 to 260* without the water.

Any more questions - please feel free to ask.
Chris.

Last edited:
Reactions: YogiDog
No seasoning needed..My lid leaked so i did put a gasket there..I use the flame boss 300( It makes the long overnight cooks a breeze).. Just like Chris, I don't use water in the pan either.. There are a bunch of mods you CAN make . It's just a matter of whet you want to do...I added some wheels to mine to make it easier to get out of the garage and back..
wheels.jpg

Seasoning.I would as you never know who or what touched it before you bought it,heat kills.Plus a little smokiness before you smoke can't hurt.

Gaskets...yes.Super cheap to do and will help retain smoke and heat which also makes for more stable temps.My local Ace sells the self stick BGE felt gasket for next to nothing.

Minion.

No water in the pan seems a constant among all including me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky