Braised Braciole with Uncle Noon...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Been planning the do this cook with my Uncle (Member Unclenoon on SMF) for 2 years, but for one reason or another it just never happened. He has had some major health issues (Back, Neck) and finally was well enough and his condition stable for him to have surgery on his neck. This cook has been his motivation to go through all the pain of therapy to get his strength back. Finally, after all the delays, we pulled the trigger and cooked this last night. He was not 100%, and had to take multiple breaks to sit down and rest his back, but the final result was worth it for him. The meal, coupled with his Valpolicella wine....home run!

So here is the play by play....

The recipe is from the food network. I did a search there, but could not find this exact one, so here it is:
IMG_20221103_160431.jpg

Started with the prep...I did most of it while my Uncle gave direction between taking breaks. I butterflied the beef top round (substitute for veal) open so it was about 3/4" thick and pounded it flat to 1/2" with a meat mallet on both sides and light coating of olive oil.
IMG_20221103_152539.jpg

While my Uncle mixed the stuffing...
IMG_20221103_152536.jpg

Then layered the stuffing onto the beef...
IMG_20221103_152929.jpg

Next, added the boiled egg quarters...
IMG_20221103_153138.jpg

Since the stuffing has 1/2# of my homemade fennel coppa which used 3.3% salt; along with the cheese...we did not add any more salt because my Uncle is on a low sodium diet. It was plenty enough on the plate.

Fennel Coppa....
IMG_20221103_143147.jpg

Trussed it up with butchers twine and sear in a med.high pan on all sides....
IMG_20221103_160027.jpg

Deglaze with some Valapolicella wine...
IMG_20221103_160654.jpg

Add the marinara, cover and let it simmer for about 1 hour 20 minutes until INT is 160*F.

While that was going, I sliced some Fennel Coppa and Napoli salami for antipasto...
IMG_20221103_170930.jpg

Boiled the pasta, and pulled the stuffed roast to a board to cool..
IMG_20221103_184028.jpg

The slice..
IMG_20221103_205909_01.jpg

The Plate...served wit ha Caesar side salad and opened a second bottle of Valapolicella wine. Man was it GOOD!!!
IMG_20221103_185734.jpg

Last edited:
awesome looking plate!! thanks for sharing this! hopefully your uncle continues to get better!
Thanks tbern! He improving daily.

Dang! I'd bring the wine and do dishes for a plate of that. Sounds like a good time of fellowship.
Jim
Thanks JLeonard! It was a really good meal and a good night.

Geez Keith, that is quite an impressive meal!
Sounds like you guys had a great time!
Al
Thanks Al! We sure did!

That one's going on the "To Do" list.
Thanks mneeley. You will not be disappointed!

Damn Keith!! That looks spectacular!! A truly magnificent meal and one I'd be all over buddy. Seriously, that all sounds amazing and IHMO, that's a carousel worthy meal right there. Well done sir and hats off to Uncle Noon for hanging there till the end.

Robert

Reactions: indaswamp
Damn Keith!! That looks spectacular!! A truly magnificent meal and one I'd be all over buddy. Seriously, that all sounds amazing and IHMO, that's a carousel worthy meal right there. Well done sir and hats off to Uncle Noon for hanging there till the end.

Robert
Thanks Robert! I'm honored. It's a very good recipe...I highly recommend it. Not too difficult to put together either.

Wow! That’s an incredible cook! It looks so amazing and had to taste out of this world! Big points!
Thanks bauchjw! The complex flavors and textures in the stuffing made the dish. Layer upon layer. It was awesome!
IDS, Another awesome cook !!!!
Thanks crazy!

That's some fine dining right there Keith. Heck of a job bud. This should be on the spinner!
Thanks Jake! I highly recommend this dish!

Grats on the well deserved ride Keith! You consistently turn out meals that are 5 star. This is is no exception. Just overall amazing work. Glad you got to finally do some cooking and dining with your uncle.

Nicely done Keith. Looks like you and your uncle hit that one out of the park.

Point for sure
Chris

Great plate full of flavours Keith, love the rolled beef roast
and nice to wait and do with Uncle Noon
Sounds like it was a fun time and good memories

David
Thanks David! The flavor was insanely good!

Grats on the well deserved ride Keith! You consistently turn out meals that are 5 star. This is is no exception. Just overall amazing work. Glad you got to finally do some cooking and dining with your uncle.
Thanks jcam! I was glad we were finally able to put this cook together. Have plans to do more as he gets stronger.

Nicely done Keith. Looks like you and your uncle hit that one out of the park.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! It's a great recipe and I highly recommend it! I want to do this with the center loin section of venison backstrap one night...sear then sous vide...bet that would rock!
Fantastic meal bud . All kinds of flavor going on . Nice work .

That fennel spice dried coppa cooked is insane flavor . So good .
Thank chop! You are not kidding on the flavors! But that stuffing was balanced for being so intense! The fennel coppa definitely elevated the dish though....off the chart umami! All the elements were there...sweet, sour, salty, bitter...flavor explosion!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thanks for sharing. This brings back childhood memories of Sunday dinners at my Grandparents. Grandpa was an Italian immigrant, came to the US when he was 14 years old and went straight to work as a barber. He would start his Sunday dinner sauce on Saturday morning. Usually just some meat sauce with pork neckbones. Every so often he would make braciole. Similar recipe to yours, stuffed with salami, parsley, cheese. This would go in the sauce and simmer for hours. True tasty at dinner on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for sharing,
RG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky