boykjo's reverse flow build 05/07/2015 update

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Very nice trailer Joe.....    I noticed you are taking your time to get this build "just right".....    That's the way to do it...  
icon14.gif

Dave 
Thanks Dave, I had other ideas using stuff that I could find and modifying to fit my needs but I really wanted to start from scratch and build it like a lang or even better.....After seeing what I'm doing I am glad I went the scratch route......I wrote some measurements down from raptors (kenny) build I am copying off of that and I like what this smoker has with the burner/cooker on the front

The only thing I'm not liking is my tank ends pieces.. They are rounder on the ends..... I dont think it matters and its what I've got. If another tank falls in my lap which I dont think it will I will move on with the one I have.......

texas.gif
Hello from East Texas. This is going to be a great smoker. Like Dave said you are taking your time and getting everything just right. Keep posting those Pictures

Gary

chipping away at it some more......Got the tank cut and ready for the fire box and tempararily bolted it to the trailer so i can transport it without having to lug the tank around ........

cut out for the fire box.... Measured 9 inches from the inside bottom of the tank to the cut..

There was a ring inside the tank and it was a b#$ch to cut the tank

2 bolts holding it on the trailer for now.... I want to bolt it for now so I can move it a little when the fire box gets installed

some black paint and it will be looking like a smoker

thanks for looking

Joe

UUUGGGHHH....just got back from the metal supply house and the fire box/rf plate material is going to hit me for about 500....................
hit.gif

Are you buying full sheets or having them cut it ? sounds high to me.

Gary

My firebox pieces for my little smoker was around $200, but was having them cut it, and they made quite a few really nice cuts for me for the intake vents, vent covers, and some misc bits of bar stock and whatnot...

I also learned that steel is expensive in Canada now due to no Canadian owned mills or something... 

Last edited:

Are you buying full sheets or having them cut it ? sounds high to me.

Gary
yes.... I priced a 6'x10'x1/4 at around 420 bucks and the cost was15 dollars per shear. Five cuts are going to be made Accually six. the shear is only 9'3" so a foot will have to be removed from the plate.. I wont be charged for the cut....... I'll have to dig deeper than I thought and have it done. I will gladly pay extra for the shearing but 15 dollars a cut is just plain robbery..........

Here's what I need

The fire box is going to be 28X24X24. All my cuts are going to 1/2 inch less from the 28x24x24  All welds will be made outside the box. I will assemble the box like this...

Last edited:
Joe, not to get into your plans, but are there any fabrication shops in your area that you can check with, see if they have some pieces of drop that they can cut and sell you cheaper on the material end? and $15 a cut seems a bit high to me too......I have used a saw like this one in the past that worked great on 1/4", but I have never used one from Harbor Freight, so I don't know how it will hold up......

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking Good    keep us posted

Gary

Joe, not to get into your plans, but are there any fabrication shops in your area that you can check with, see if they have some pieces of drop that they can cut and sell you cheaper on the material end? and $15 a cut seems a bit high to me too......I have used a saw like this one in the past that worked great on 1/4", but I have never used one from Harbor Freight, so I don't know how it will hold up.....
Hey Mike unfortunately we have very few fab shops in the Raleigh area so Dillon supply is my best place to go...... That's HF saw is a great price but I would have to see it work before I would buy on... I rather buy the industrial Milwaukee metal saw...

Last edited:
The one I use was made by another company, but you get the ideal. If I were to buy a HF tool, as hard as I am on tools, I would invest in the warranty!!! I have been told that if given enough time, I could break an anvil!!!! ROFLOL

Joe, evening.....  with what they want for cutting and what a saw would cost, your are not too far from a plasma....  

You left us hanging,  we need an update. Everyone is interested in which way you are headed and your progress. Your friends at SMF

Gary

Sorry about that gary.... well I plan to go back to dillon supply and buy the matirial and have them cut it for the 500 bucks. as of now I have so many tools and stuff I really dont want to purchase any more things. I would like to skip the labor in cutting all that plate too and just go pick it up and fab it together... I have the extra cash for it but the south florida gathering is coming up nov 8,9,10 and I like to have some extra cash for that plus new tires for the truck might slow me down on the build. Although I can buy some lift off weld on hinges for the doors and start on that part...... I am shooting to have this done by christmas or new years by the latest... Oh and i am planning using 1200 degree black semi gloss engine heat paint for the firebox and tank end cap and paint the rest of the smoker with rustolium semi gloss black enamel. I work weekends so all my work is done tues, wed thur. and fri
Joe

Last edited:
Joe do I need to send my plasma cutter to you so you can use? Just send it back in good shape.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky