Bourbon Chuck Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HenryP

Original poster
Apr 25, 2022
Yesterday I made the smoked bourbon chuck roast by smoking it at 225 for 10 hours. I previously marinated it overnight. The first 4 hours were uncovered and then I added peppers and onions and placed the chuck roast on top. I covered the pan and smoked it for the remaining 6 hours. The roast smelled great, but it was a little tough and dry to the taste. Today, is the day it is being served to the family. Is there anything I could today to make it more tender?

Was it probe tender when you pulled it or did you go by time/IT? You can reheat up to probe temp, start early. Lots of people cook up to just before probe, then finish day of.

Reactions: masssmoke
I’m just wondering if you can actually taste the bourbon? I’ve never had any good results trying to infuse bourbon flavor and having it survive the cooking/smoking process.

Cube it up and throw it in a pan with some butter and bbq sauce. Cover it and throw it in the oven or smoker at a low temp for awhile. Adds some moisture and flavor back in.
This! Be a little heavy on the butter, it will really help.

FYI, for next smoke uncovered till 165 ish then cover, but it should only take 2-3 hours tops to desired temp, any time beyond the desired temp will dry it our and make it firm.... If you have any of the rendered fat from the pan, that will help and offset the amount of butter needed.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I’m just wondering if you can actually taste the bourbon? I’ve never had any good results trying to infuse bourbon flavor and having it survive the cooking/smoking process.
No, can't really taste the bourbon....recipe sounded good, but ??

Was it probe tender when you pulled it or did you go by time/IT? You can reheat up to probe temp, start early. Lots of people cook up to just before probe, then finish day of.
Took it out by time, temperature never got over 179 and it was in 10 hours

That is UNDERDONE to say the least!Chuckies tend to be probe tender in or around the 200 range.

Next time go with a higher temp and wrapping never hurts when it hits the stall.Wrapping will get you through the stall quicker.

Cook by temp and probe tender will yield much better results.Probe tender is when its done.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Sounds like a great recipe but never go by time when smoking, the meat is done when it’s done and no two pieces ever finish the same.

179 is low for a tender chuck roast. Once you get into the 190s it gets sliceable…north of 200 degrees IT is when it pulls easily.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Have you verified that your temp probe is in calibration. Was the lead in the pan liquid when you covered it (the wires aren't fluid proof and if wet will mess up the reading)? Second was the smoker really 225?

Last edited:
Have you verified that your temp probe is in calibration. Was the lead in the pan liquid when you covered it (the wires aren't fluid prove and if wet will mess up the reading)? Second was the smoker really 225?

Two great points.Both have ****ed me in the past.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky