bottom round roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
I just picked up a bottom round roast about 3 pounds. I am going to smoke it tomorrow, considering using some kind of coffee rub. I just not sure how long at 225 i will need.

4-5 hours most likely.
Instead of a coffee rub, try my "Magic elixir" using 16-18 ounces of brewed coffee and 3 heaping tablespoons of beef base dissolved in the coffee. After the roast teaces about 160 IT, place it in a disposable aluminum pan with a rack under it add the "elixir" cover tightly and finish to probe tender. Reserve the "Elixir", place in fridge to separate the fat while the roast is resting.
This is an incredible Au Jus, or thicken to make a gravy that will knock you socks off !
Just be sure to taste it before using to determine if more water or coffee is needed to suit your tastes as the base really amps up the beefy flavor

I took some of radio's ideas but changed it up a little.
made the coffee and put in drip pan. foil because i just discovered a small hole in it.
DSCF3349.JPG
DSCF3349.JPG

Reactions: radio
just tried the coffee/beef broth tasted pretty good, did not add any base could not find any powder as store. so tried this way.

Reactions: radio
just tried the coffee/beef broth tasted pretty good, did not add any base could not find any powder as store. so tried this way.
The beef base I use is a very thick and heavy paste made by Tone's. I don't care for the funny taste of bullion and this stuff is extra beefy!
shopping

got a little over done. should have done about an hour less. went the french dip method.

Attachments

• DSCF3354.JPG
    DSCF3354.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky