Bottom Roast Made Into Deli Sliced Roast Beef & SPAM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 12, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Here's my third post today of what I smoked yesterday.  I made pulled pork, chicken quarters, SPAM, homemade bread and this bottom round roast.

ry%3D400

This weighed in at 2.5 lbs.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I put in a zip lock bag with about a half a bottle of Italian Salad Dressing and put it in the refridgerator overnight.

ry%3D400

It was only 8 degrees out in the morning when I got started.  Gotta dress warm to get the WSM ready.

ry%3D400

I did the Minion Method using Apple and Cherry chunks.  I used a new kind of charcoal this time.  It was good stuff.  Created a lot of ash, but held temps well and lasted all day.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here it is going down with the butt.

ry%3D400

Here we are a couple of hours later.  I flipped it and did a temp check.

ry%3D400

Oops, I fell asleep.  I wanted to take this off at 140, but it ended up coming off at 155.  I wrapped it in foil and rested for an hour before I wrapped in saran wrap and put it in the refridgerator overnight to slice today.

Here it is a few minutes ago as I was getting ready to slice.

ry%3D400

I cut it in half so it would slice better and I could go across the grain.  Color is still better than I thought it would be.

ry%3D400

Getting slicer running.

ry%3D400

Paper thin baby!

ry%3D400

All bagged up for sammies later.  I did snack on it a bit while slicing.

ry%3D400

Here's the SPAM.  I just cut cross hatches into into and sprinkled rub all over it and into the cuts.  A few pieces were torn off before I snapped this pic.

ry%3D400

Here's the bread.  On the left is a cheddar onion loaf, the other is plain.

ry%3D400

Here's the link to the pork butt

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/102402/bone-in-butt-with-secret-rub

the chicken quarters

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/102404/a-batch-of-chicken-quarters#post_581982

Cheers!

Reactions: mballi3011
Man dude that's one busy smoke & here I am complaing chase it's 40 outside? I've been wanting to do a spam all week! I like chipotles in between the slice!! Oh baby!!! What kinda slicer was that?

Jay it all looks good except for that Spam - man I never liked that stuff at all.  Great work with the slicer. You are going to have some great sammies with that beef for sure especially with that bread you made 

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

The roast beef looks like some fine lunches coming up this week.

Looks good Jay. Hey where did you get the rub? I hardly recognize the back yard without a foot or two of snow like last year. And Spam...really, you guys running out of things to smoke?  Later my friend.Bill & Crew   -11° this morning

Jay it all looks great, especially the roast beef...

Nice roast beast! Thats one of the things on my "To Smoke" list which seems to get longer and longer the more im on this board!

You certainly have been busy!  That roast wouldn't last two days around here.  We really like French dip sandwiches and that looks perfect.

Very nice. I have a rump roast out in the freezer, never did that type yet. Did an eye of round awhile back and that made some great sammies. How does the bottom round compare dude?

Very nice. I have a rump roast out in the freezer, never did that type yet. Did an eye of round awhile back and that made some great sammies. How does the bottom round compare dude?
Hey Flash,

I did an eye of round last time.  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/99574/first-time-making-deli-style-roast-beef   This one wasn't quite as dry.  But on both, I took them a little too high on the internal temp.  This one seemed a little more moist than the eye even though there isn't much fat in this either.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky