Bottom or Top Round...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jvanderr

Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
Northeast Indiana
Hello all.  I am looking for some suggestions.

1. Which do you prefer; top or bottom round?

2. How do you prepare it?

I've never done either one and I am all for experimenting and doing something new.  Thanks in advance for your advice.  

With Top round i like to coat in Worcestershire sauce or salt and some steak seasoning or just pepper.let sit for a few hours or overnight. i smoke till about 135 IT and then take off the smoker let rest for 30-45 minutes. i will slice thin on my slicer for sammies or slice like a steak and have with potatoes.

I do similar with bottom round but i also like to take bottom round slice thin and marinade and make jerky. I marinade for about a week and use a cure and then cold smoke on my WSM 22 with an A-MAZE-N pellet tray for about 8 hours at 125-150 degrees. 

Both cuts are good for different things. i would use them to take to really high IT like 1965 because the meat is typically lean. if you were to do that ( for pulled beef or something) i would inject some creole butter or something along those lines.

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

Thanks.  I searched out some other posts as well.  I am going for some french dip sliders to take out to the sandbar this weekend.  

I would vote for top round since your goal is French dip. It is a more tender cut than bottom round. I use bottom round for making ground beef. An even better cut would be eye round.  Tri tip makes great French dip too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky