Boston Butt Pulled Pork (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear, even with the wait to do the final pull, everything came out perfect!!!  Here are some pics!

Seasoned butt

Smoking away!

After 6 hers

8 hr smoked butt just before foil wrap with apple juice and 2 sliced apples

Smoked 3 more hours, rested under foil and towels for 2 hers then completed final pull

Also did a rack of ribs and some smoked beans for complete dinner!!!!

Bear, even with the wait to do the final pull, everything came out perfect!!!  

Also did a rack of ribs and some smoked beans for complete dinner!!!!
That's Great Deb!!
icon14.gif

It All looks mighty tasty from here!!!
drool.gif

Bear

Bear (and others),

I just got my MES 30 and got it seasoned up on Saturday.  I got a 6.75 lb boston butt and wanted to follow your step by step guide for my first smoke yesterday.

Started it preheated at 7am.  Everything was spot on (123 at 11am, 135 at noon-bumped up to 240).  At 3pm I went out and checked and mine was sitting at 142, no where the 165 where you were.  I didn't think much of it and let it go a while longer. At 4:00 it was at 145.  I started to worry a bit cause I promised dinner would not be late.  At 4:30 it was still at 145 so I bumped up the heat to 260.  At 5:00 it was at 157 and then I checked it again at 5:45 and it was still at 157.  At 6pm, I finally gave up and moved it to the pan with foil and finished it up in my oven at 325.  The butt was really good, no complaints there.  It probably wasn't as easy to shred as it should of been.

The MES is still bone stock (no mods made) had no problems keeping temperature.  I know my wired temp prob is fine because I use it all the time and it worked fine to 200 degrees once I put it in the oven.

After reading all the comments on this post last night I realized I did a couple of things different.  I put boiling water in the pan and I realize now that you do not use water.  I also put the fat side of the butt down.  The only foil pan I had was 12X9.  I am not sure if that was too big and maybe reflected too much the heat back?

Any input is greatly appreciated.  I got another one and want to try again next weekend.  Thanks!

Bear (and others),

I just got my MES 30 and got it seasoned up on Saturday.  I got a 6.75 lb boston butt and wanted to follow your step by step guide for my first smoke yesterday.

Started it preheated at 7am.  Everything was spot on (123 at 11am, 135 at noon-bumped up to 240).  At 3pm I went out and checked and mine was sitting at 142, no where the 165 where you were.  I didn't think much of it and let it go a while longer. At 4:00 it was at 145.  I started to worry a bit cause I promised dinner would not be late.  At 4:30 it was still at 145 so I bumped up the heat to 260.  At 5:00 it was at 157 and then I checked it again at 5:45 and it was still at 157.  At 6pm, I finally gave up and moved it to the pan with foil and finished it up in my oven at 325.  The butt was really good, no complaints there.  It probably wasn't as easy to shred as it should of been.

The MES is still bone stock (no mods made) had no problems keeping temperature.  I know my wired temp prob is fine because I use it all the time and it worked fine to 200 degrees once I put it in the oven.

After reading all the comments on this post last night I realized I did a couple of things different.  I put boiling water in the pan and I realize now that you do not use water.  I also put the fat side of the butt down.  The only foil pan I had was 12X9.  I am not sure if that was too big and maybe reflected too much the heat back?

Any input is greatly appreciated.  I got another one and want to try again next weekend.  Thanks!

OK---The water in the pan wasn't of any help, however it sounds like there is more of a problem than just a "Stall".

No two pieces of meat are the same, but your numbers don't sound good.

Are you going by your MES digital read-out alone to tell you the smoker temp, or do you have an accurate wireless Digital set of therms, like the Maverick ET-732 ???

It seems like you're saying you have a meat probe that is accurate, and it gave you accurate 200* in the meat when in the oven, so it should have been correct when it was in the meat in the MES. However if you're just going by the MES digital read-out to tell you the smoker temp, that could be way off.

Also, if you're using an extension cord, what size and length is it?

Bear

Last edited:
I have a Accurite wired probe thermometer.  It has worked well in the past.  I plan on getting a Maverick ET733 in the future.  I was using an 100' 10/3 outdoor cord and going by what the display said.  It was really nice here yesterday and was between 60 (at 7am) and 80 during the afternoon so I don't think the weather was the cause.

I am going to try to use my thermometer tonight to guage the air temperature inside the unit with and without the cord.  I don't have a grate clip so I will use a foil ball to keep the probe tip off the rack.  Do you ever shut your close the vent on the top during the foil stage?  I left mine wide open the entire time.  Most of the time the heating element wasn't on when I went out to check on it and the MES was right at the temp I set (whether it's right or wrong).

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

I have a Accurite wired probe thermometer.  It has worked well in the past.  I plan on getting a Maverick ET733 in the future.  I was using an 100' 10/3 outdoor cord and going by what the display said.  It was really nice here yesterday and was between 60 (at 7am) and 80 during the afternoon so I don't think the weather was the cause.

I am going to try to use my thermometer tonight to guage the air temperature inside the unit with and without the cord.  I don't have a grate clip so I will use a foil ball to keep the probe tip off the rack.  Do you ever shut your close the vent on the top during the foil stage?  I left mine wide open the entire time.  Most of the time the heating element wasn't on when I went out to check on it and the MES was right at the temp I set (whether it's right or wrong).

Thanks for your help.

I sometimes close my top vent about 50% during the foiled stage, and if it's pretty windy.

I close it all the way for preheating.

I just hang my probe wire through the top vent, and let the smoker probe stick through the rack the meat is on, so that the probe isn't against any metal. Then I tape the cable to the roof of the smoker to keep the probe in position.

Bear

I sometimes close my top vent about 50% during the foiled stage, and if it's pretty windy.

I close it all the way for preheating.

I just hang my probe wire through the top vent, and let the smoker probe stick through the rack the meat is on, so that the probe isn't against any metal. Then I tape the cable to the roof of the smoker to keep the probe in position.

Bear
when I smoked the pork loin,,i had to play with top vent to keep the temp up,,,kinda breezy that day

when I smoked the pork loin,,i had to play with top vent to keep the temp up,,,kinda breezy that day
Yup---Either that or get something to block the wind.

Just make sure you don't close the top vent so much that it stops the smoke from flowing through. Don't want it to get stagnant.

Bear

the first time I used  it,,i closed the vent,,,,i thought it exploaded,,,,it built up internal pressure,,and had to breath,,whewwww

Yup---Either that or get something to block the wind.

Just make sure you don't close the top vent so much that it stops the smoke from flowing through. Don't want it to get stagnant.

Bear
Bear, do you also leave the chip loader on your MES completely out?  I've been trying that, as well as keeping the chip tray pulled out to try to create a little intake path as well.  Not sure if others have done the same.

Bear, do you also leave the chip loader on your MES completely out?  I've been trying that, as well as keeping the chip tray pulled out to try to create a little intake path as well.  Not sure if others have done the same.
Talking specifically about the MES Gen #1 Unit:

That seems to depend on the individual MES and the altitude of the area it is used:

Some guys play all kinds of games with their chip dumper & chip drawer, but my AMNPS works perfectly without.

I keep my pellets dry in air tight jugs, I never nuke them, I don't touch my Chip dumper or the chip burner drawer. All I do is get one end lit real good, with a big cigar-like red cherry deep into the pellets. Then I put it on the bars to the left of the chip burner assembly. About 11 hours later it goes out, unless I put less pellets in for a shorter smoke.

The biggest thing by far is getting it lit properly. Many times people do the other little games because they never get it lit properly.

Bear

the first time I used  it,,i closed the vent,,,,i thought it exploaded,,,,it built up internal pressure,,and had to breath,,whewwww
I had that happen to me when I tried putting a piece of tile over the bottom right side like many used to do to keep the heat from the MES heating element from going straight up the right side & out the top vent. It was puffing & popping until I moved it. That's when I discovered the best way to get the heat over to the middle was to use a plate in the bottom right, with the left side a bit higher than the right, causing the heat to slide over to the middle.

Bear

I'm new here. I'm doing 2 friday. I'm gonna follow this, and I'll let you know how it turns out..
Sounds Great, Bill !!

PM me if you run into a question.

Bear

That bark looks ridiculous!  Gimme, gimme, gimme!  I'm soooo hungry looking at that! 
drool.gif
Thank You Gadsden!!!

I gotta do another one of these soon too---If they drop below the current price of Gold!!

Bear

Great info,i have a 30 " MBS as well.My main dumb newbie question is this-what is AMNPS?Plus ive never used pellets in my MB electric smoker before.Im currently using apple chips off of amazon.They work/smell/taste great.Ok thanks.

Great info,i have a 30 " MBS as well.My main dumb newbie question is this-what is AMNPS?Plus ive never used pellets in my MB electric smoker before.Im currently using apple chips off of amazon.They work/smell/taste great.Ok thanks.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

Its worth is weight in gold.

Its the only way I add smoke in my MES.

You can get 12 hours of great smoke with it.

It will sit right inside the smoker and add the great smoke everyone wants.

Last edited:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

Its worth is weight in gold.

Its the only way I add smoke in my MES.

You can get 12 hours of great smoke with it.

It will sit right inside the smoker and add the great smoke everyone wants.
Thanks Jag!!

Adam got you covered perfectly on your question.

Bear

Thanks for the advice.I checked out you link on the A-maze-n Pellet Smoker.Looks interesting.Ok of course iv got some rookie questions.

(1)How do you install it?

(2)what are you taking out to make room for it?

(3)How do you keep the drippings from putting out the pellets?

(4)If you smoking a 7lb or say BB then I guess you fill it up.If not and doing chicken use 1/2 pellets.

(5)The customer service at MB said never use pellets in the side insert just chips.(just a comment)

(6)Say your smoking a BB(my personal fav)do you keep adding pellets or is one fill enough?

(7)Since a lot of people seem to be using it,im assuming it works/fits in a 30" MBS (4 racks -water pan)

Sorry to be a pain.But i think this could be a awesome product to add to my smoker.I just want to make sure im doing it correctly for the best effect.Alot of time on chicken thigh ill smoke for 2-3 hrs then just let them temp out.I didn't want to (1)dry -over smoke and (2)waste pellets.

Thanks for all of your advice.I love this site.You truly learn a lot of what works and what doesn't as well as making you a better smoker.Peace :)

Thanks for the advice.I checked out you link on the A-maze-n Pellet Smoker.Looks interesting.Ok of course iv got some rookie questions.

(1)How do you install it? With an MES Gen #1 you don't install it----You just set it on the bars to the left of the chip burning assembly. The Gen #2 is different.

(2)what are you taking out to make room for it? Nothing

(3)How do you keep the drippings from putting out the pellets? I just put half of a foil pan upside down above it.

(4)If you smoking a 7lb or say BB then I guess you fill it up.If not and doing chicken use 1/2 pellets. Each Row is good for 3 to 4 hours. A full load does 10 to 12 hours. Load accordingly.

(5)The customer service at MB said never use pellets in the side insert just chips.(just a comment)

(6)Say your smoking a BB(my personal fav)do you keep adding pellets or is one fill enough? One is enough.

(7)Since a lot of people seem to be using it,im assuming it works/fits in a 30" MBS (4 racks -water pan) Yes---It was designed toy fit the MES 30 Generation #1.

Sorry to be a pain.But i think this could be a awesome product to add to my smoker.I just want to make sure im doing it correctly for the best effect.Alot of time on chicken thigh ill smoke for 2-3 hrs then just let them temp out.I didn't want to (1)dry -over smoke and (2)waste pellets.

Thanks for all of your advice.I love this site.You truly learn a lot of what works and what doesn't as well as making you a better smoker.Peace :)
Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky