Boston Butt Pulled Pork (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great Start Kyle!
Is it Done Yet?

Bear
Took exactly 11 hours to reach 200* internal temp. I forgot to take a picture of the final product, but it tasted great! As soon as I picked it up to move it off the tray, the entire shoulder just fell apart, in a good way :)

This pic was as I was about to foil wrap it.
U
I finished it off with jj' finishing sauce. Was a big hit.

Last edited:
Sounds Great, Kyle!!
drool.gif

I love it when a Plan comes together!!
icon14.gif

Bear

Thanks Bear, great info for a newbie. I did a pork butt when I first got my Traeger and it turned out very good, but learned some things from you that I will try next time. I have another butt in the freezer so maybe next week if it stops snowing. I guess I'm not the purest that you are, the Traeger is so easy basically just set and forget it and everything turns out great. I've had an offset smoker and did a wedding rehearsal party for 60+ people (brisket) with it but it was a lot of work, smoked for 2 days straight.for that meal. Now I can fire it up, put on the meat and shovel snow, watch football, go into town, actually I can do anything I want to for the next 6-8 hours. Love this smoker/grill.

Thanks Bear, great info for a newbie. I did a pork butt when I first got my Traeger and it turned out very good, but learned some things from you that I will try next time. I have another butt in the freezer so maybe next week if it stops snowing. I guess I'm not the purest that you are, the Traeger is so easy basically just set and forget it and everything turns out great. I've had an offset smoker and did a wedding rehearsal party for 60+ people (brisket) with it but it was a lot of work, smoked for 2 days straight.for that meal. Now I can fire it up, put on the meat and shovel snow, watch football, go into town, actually I can do anything I want to for the next 6-8 hours. Love this smoker/grill.
Thanks Papadon!!

Keep up the Great Work!!

Bear

Whats the wire mesh you have the pork on? Do I need that or can I just put it right on the rack? I have the same smoker as you.

Whats the wire mesh you have the pork on? Do I need that or can I just put it right on the rack? I have the same smoker as you.
Sure you can put it right on the rack, like I used to do my Prime Ribs (See Link Below):

I changed to the Pan method to make clean-up 10 times easier, and the wire rack in the bottom of the Pan is to allow Smoke to get under the Roast.

No Pan Method:
Bear

Hey Bear, I notice similarities in your step by step for Pork Butt, and Brisket. I'm doing a Brisket tomorrow, and am thinking of maybe throwing a Pork Butt in the smoker as well. Any tips?

Thanks Bear - The cooking times is what Im going to use to target getting the meat to 203 IT. This ones 8#, so I want to start this 11 hr cook to finish up at 3 PM for Sundays Superbowl......so, doing the math now.......oh oh.....

Hey Bear, I notice similarities in your step by step for Pork Butt, and Brisket. I'm doing a Brisket tomorrow, and am thinking of maybe throwing a Pork Butt in the smoker as well. Any tips?
Sure---You could do that if you get your timing plan right.

If one has to be above the other I'd put the Beef above the Pork.

Bear

Seems like the timing will be very similar. Sounds like both need to be wrapped at 165, and then taken up to around 200 internal, then towel up and rest. Hopefully they get there around the same time. 

Seems like the timing will be very similar. Sounds like both need to be wrapped at 165, and then taken up to around 200 internal, then towel up and rest. Hopefully they get there around the same time. 
Take Notes on Start Time of each, Temp, and sizes of each.

Then next time you might want to start one sooner than the other to get them to finish  near the same time.

Bear

Glad the post was revived, Good step by step. Thx.
Thank You AB !!

Bear

Thanks Bear - The cooking times is what Im going to use to target getting the meat to 203 IT. This ones 8#, so I want to start this 11 hr cook to finish up at 3 PM for Sundays Superbowl......so, doing the math now.......oh oh.....
Thank You TJ !!

Hope it comes close for you.

Bear

I posted a few days ago.... But, either it wasn't approved or... It just didn't save properly... So, sorry in advance if I end up double posting.

Five days ago, I attempted my second smoke on my new smoker, 30" Masterbuilt Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker. I followed as closely as I could....but, I couldn't get any smoke under 245 degrees.... I had an 8.4 lb Boston Butt and I did play around with the temps to keep some smoke on it. But, I followed as closely to your temperature landmarks, and about 13 hours later I had a fairly nice pan of pulled pork. I am very much a rookie, and need some practice, but was very content with my end results. The only thing I really was missing was a little more smoke flavor.

Here are a few photos... Obviously, I need to learn how to make them viewable...:biggrin:

[ATTACHMENT=3374]image.jpeg (1,903k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=3375][ATTACHMENT=3376]image.jpeg (1,220k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=3377]image.jpeg (1,275k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=3378]image.jpeg (1,343k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited:
I posted a few days ago.... But, either it wasn't approved or... It just didn't save properly... So, sorry in advance if I end up double posting.

Five days ago, I attempted my second smoke on my new smoker, 30" Masterbuilt Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker. I followed as closely as I could....but, I couldn't get any smoke under 245 degrees.... I had an 8.4 lb Boston Butt and I did play around with the temps to keep some smoke on it. But, I followed as closely to your temperature landmarks, and about 13 hours later I had a fairly nice pan of pulled pork. I am very much a rookie, and need some practice, but was very content with my end results. The only thing I really was missing was a little more smoke flavor.

Butt looks Great !!
drool.gif

All you need is an AMNPS Pellet Smoker.

Click on the business card at the bottom of most of the pages---The one that says "A-Maze-N-Smoker".

Bear

Butt looks Great !!:drool
All you need is an AMNPS Pellet Smoker.
Click on the business card at the bottom of most of the pages---The one that says "A-Maze-N-Smoker".

Bear

Thank you very much.... I was thinking I was gonna wait to buy the AMNPS....but, really no reason to wait. And thank you soooo much for your step by steps. It really is a great resource for people like me!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, long time listener, first time caller. [emoji]128512[/emoji]

I've had my MES30 for the better part of a year now. Reading this forum has helped me learn so much and allowed us to have some great smokes (many thanks)

So far I've done ribs, wings and Boston butt. This weekend will be my first time smoking (2) butts at the same time (9lb and 8.5lb) and I have a few questions:

1). Does it matter if the top butt drips onto the lower one? Should I try to offset them left-right?

2). Should I swap spots at any point during the cooking?

3). I'm using an aluminum BBQ pan on the bottom rack to catch the drippings. Do I still need the water pan in there?

4). I'm thinking of starting at 8pm Friday night and smoking until midnight (4 hours) then going to sleep and letting it cook. I seem to average around 2 hours per lb at 225*-230*. This hopefully gets me done around 2pm Sat, party is around 4-5pm. I will put it in a cooler and shred when I get there. Question is, if for some reason I'm not done by 2, is It cool to crank up the heat to push them along and what temp would you go to?

My apologies for so many questions, I'm just hoping to do my best for the party.

Thanks and take care!

-

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky