Boston Butt. (Pulled Pork @ 275° Smoker Temp) 8-8-20

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Boston Butt. (Pulled Pork @ 275° Smoker Temp) 8-8-2020

There are many ways to Smoke Pulled Pork, But I don’t like to do overnight Smokes, so since this Butt was 8.11 pounds, I figured I’d try to get it done for Supper (about 4 or 5 PM).
Knowing I could easily “hold” it if it finishes too early I started my MES 40 at 6:45 AM.
I set it at a Temp that would give me a True 275° with my Accurate Maverick ET-732.
I also filled my AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and as always, lit one end.

Meanwhile, while that stuff heats up, I’ll tell you about what happened before Smoking Day:
Back on 10-17-2018, I saw the lowest price I’ve seen in my entire 9 year Smoking History, as "Weis" Market had Pork Butts for 97¢ a pound.
Butts are always at least $2 per pound around here, and usually $3 or even more!!
Since Mrs Bear was going there anyway, I told her to get me 3 Butts at about 8 lbs each. She brought me 3 butts at about 8, 9, and 10 lbs. (Good Girl)
I decided to Bag & freeze the smaller one for another time, Split the biggest one for Buckboard Bacon, and make some Pulled Pork from the 9.2 pounder.
I did those things with the other 2, and this is that smallest one, at 8.11 pounds, so here we go:

Prepping the 8.1 pound Butt:
Rinse, pat dry, coat with Yellow Mustard, Apply Rub, put on Wire Cooling Rack in a Foil Pan.
Put in Fridge for overnight rest.

Smoking Day:
6:45 AM——Preheat MES at 260°, Fill AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and Light one end.
7:20 AM——Put Meat Pan on Rack #2 of my 6 rack MES, and AMNPS on right end of my bottom rack (pull dumper out 3” & rotate 180°).
7:45 AM——Bump to 275°.
10:00 AM—-Sterilize my clean Maverick probe with alcohol wipe, and insert probe into center of Roast. IT is 117°.
10:30 AM—-IT is 126°.
11:00 AM—-IT is 138°.
NOON——-IT is 156°.
1:00 PM——IT is 167°.
2:00 PM——IT is 176°.
2:30 PM——IT is 181°.
3:00 PM——IT is 185°.
3:30 PM——IT is 189°. 1" of pellets left in last row.
4:00 PM——IT is 192°.
4:30 PM——IT is 197°
5:00 PM——IT is 200°——Remove from Smoker to Kitchen.

Pull a small hunk off to pull just enough for our 3 Sammies for Supper.

Ate Supper——Then Pulled the rest of the Butt for Fridge container & freezing some.

Since I didn’t cover with Foil at 165°, like I usually do, I didn’t get very much Liquid Gold Juices for Au Jus.
I'll be going back to covering @ 165°, as I saw no advantage in not covering at all.
However I had enough for the Sammies we had before Freezing two packs.

Thanks for Dropping by!

Bear

One 8.11 lb Pork Butt purchased on 10-17-2018:
IMG_5788.jpeg

Lowest price I've ever seen, @ 97cents per pound:
IMG_5789.jpeg

Coated with Yellow Mustard, to help Rub Stick:
IMG_5790.jpeg

All Rubbed & ready for overnight in Fridge:
IMG_5791.jpeg

Butt done & ready to move to Kitchen. AMNPS is burned out just in time:
IMG_5796.jpeg

Resting a Bit:
IMG_5798.jpeg

Pulled just enough for One Supper. One with Jeff's BBQ Sauce, and one with Mrs Bear's Sauce. Bear's first 2 Sammies:
IMG_5801.jpeg

Pulling first half of Butt:
IMG_5802.jpeg

The Whole Butt all pulled---Shoulder Bone on top:
IMG_5803.jpeg

Juices from bottom of Pan, with Fat on top:
IMG_5804.jpeg

Fat separated & removed. Didn't get much Liquid Gold, due to not foiling @ 165°:
IMG_5805.jpeg

Heating up for a Big Open Face Pulled Pork Sammy:
IMG_5806.jpeg

Bear's second night's Supper: (Jeff's BBQ Sauce & Frank's Red Hot)
IMG_5807.jpeg

Heating up for Third Night:
IMG_5809.jpeg

Jeff's BBQ Sauce:
IMG_5810.jpeg

Open Face Sammy for Bear's Third Night's Supper:
IMG_5811.jpeg

Heating up for 4th Night. Note the Teaspoon of Au Jus Jelly on top of Meat in bowl (Heat melts Jelly into liquid):
IMG_5812.jpeg

Bear's 4th Night's Supper: (Mrs Bear's Sauce)
IMG_5813.jpeg

Heating one more bowl for 5th Night's Supper, with a lump of Au Jus Jelly on top:
IMG_5814.jpeg

Bear's 5th Night's Supper: (Mrs Bear's Sauce)
IMG_5815.jpeg

Two packs Vac-Packed for Freezer, with one Supper in each Pack:
IMG_5808.jpeg

Man , that looks great . Nice bark, love the color . Its hard to beat pulled pork any way you have it . Nice work John .

Excellent looking PP Bear, I agree with Chop great bark.

Point for sure
Chris

It’s good to see you getting that smoker fired up again Bud!
The PP looks delicious!!
Al

Last edited:
Looks terrific Bear! Who doesn't love a good pulled pork sammie! You certainly ate good all week!

Like!
Red

A fine looking piece of work there Bear, Like! I'd say you got some great mileage out of that sale. RAY

Great looking pulled pork Bear! And even better price. As always some nice looking sammies!

Ryan

Looks great, I sometimes do Butts for family members when I slip and let word get out, I bought a 5 finger shredder that goes into a drill, it sure has made life easier pulling a lot of meat, less than $20 I think lol

It’s good to see you getting that smoker fired up again Bud!
The PP looks delicious!!
Al

Thank You Al !!
Yeah, Not too often, but I manage to crank it up a few times.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Those are some nice Samis Bear! The best part is you get to have them several times with the left overs!

Looks terrific Bear! Who doesn't love a good pulled pork sammie! You certainly ate good all week!

Like!
Red

Thank You Red!!!
Yup---It was easy---Cycle each day---2 for me, one for her, 2 for me, one for her, etc, etc
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Would love to see that price around here!

Thank You Norm!!
Yup---First time in 9 years it's been that low here.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky