Boston Butt on the REC TEC (Heavy PICS)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
Well folks, it has been almost 3 months since the last Pork Butt and we were running real low in the freezer. So, I pulled our last one from the 2 pack I bought from Sam's out to defrost on Sunday. It was ready to brine with Cabelas's Pecan and Honey Rub after slathering it with yellow mustard. No injection this time as I am going to spray it with apple juice every hour during the last several hours.

Here it is brined and ready to go in the fridge. Along with daddy's little helper - Gentleman Jack on ice...
IMG_20200331_172558531.jpg

And onto the grill @235 with pecan Lumber Jack Pellets approximately 9am Wednesday morning.

IMG_20200401_085936883_HDR.jpg

3 hours later @ Noon

IMG_20200401_115049053.jpg

Another at the 6 hour mark - 3pm

IMG_20200401_151910903.jpg

Here it is at the 9 hour mark @205 IT resting, the ends were soft butter probed but the middle was not quite there yet. But, I pulled it anyway.

IMG_20200401_180708713.jpg

Not much different after resting for a half hour, but here it is anyway.

IMG_20200401_182512711.jpg

The bone came out clean. Another one of daddy's little helpers from the freezer, ohhh sooo good.

IMG_20200401_182653296.jpg

And pulled with the bear claws.

IMG_20200401_183101045.jpg

And the plated money shot! Sue did the twice baked taters and fresh asparagus with meyer lemon olive oil. And if you haven't figured it out yet we both love to cook and really enjoy cooking together now that we have a bigger kitchen.

IMG_20200401_183332924.jpg

I should have left the Butt on longer, but it was past dinner time and it still needed to rest . It was 7.5 lbs versus the last one was 10 pounds, same cook time but it must have been more connective tissue in the middle.

What say you all about leaving it? Will the ends that were soft butter to probe have turned to mush if I left it longer or not?

All in all it was still a great meal!

Thanks for lookin'

Stay healthy and stay safe!!!

John

Looks great John. I think you could have let it go a little longer without any ill side effects, or you could have let it rest in a cooler for an hour. However your pics look real good to me. The only issue I see is plate size.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Looks real good John ! Nice color on it. Sides look real good as well! I'll take a plate for sure. I could also go for a few shots of the fireball!

Damn John!! You got a nice looking butt there. I'd say something to the effect that I'd tear it up if it was in front of me but somebody may misconstrue that :emoji_laughing:

Seriously my friend, that looks fantastic and the plate is just beautiful with Sue's sides. I'd never considered pulled pork being an elegant meal but it sure looks that way in your pics. Great job and here's a roll of quarters for a ride that would be much deserved. That's just gorgeous.

Robert

Looks good to me. I pull mine off around 203 and rest in cooler 2hrs but I remove the juice first and re-wrap it. Never mushy. Nice work

Last edited:
That's a fine looking effort and a wonderful piece of work John, Like! I think you did good, real hard to sit there and let 'em go beyond 205º. The sides work too, nice team cook, should go for a ride! RAY

Looks good from here also! The whole meal looks great. Glad you both enjoyed cooking it together, that's cool you enjoy cooking together.

Ryan

Looks great John. I think you could have let it go a little longer without any ill side effects, or you could have let it rest in a cooler for an hour. However your pics look real good to me. The only issue I see is plate size.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, the plate is a standard dinner plate, it's just the asparagus Sue bought last trip was HUGE!

Looks real good John ! Nice color on it. Sides look real good as well! I'll take a plate for sure. I could also go for a few shots of the fireball!
Thanks for the like Travis and the nice comments. Come on by anytime as there is usually some Fireball in the freezer.

Damn John!! You got a nice looking butt there. I'd say something to the effect that I'd tear it up if it was in front of me but somebody may misconstrue that :emoji_laughing:

Seriously my friend, that looks fantastic and the plate is just beautiful with Sue's sides. I'd never considered pulled pork being an elegant meal but it sure looks that way in your pics. Great job and here's a roll of quarters for a ride that would be much deserved. That's just gorgeous.

Robert
Thanks for the like and funny comments Robert.

Looks great John!! Real nice smoke ring too! Love the whole plate. Those Meyer lemons are amazingly sweet.
Thanks Jeff for the like and comments. And yes we have been using the meyer lemon EVOO for a few years now and it goes nicely with a lot of things.

John

Nice butt John!!

It looks pretty darn good to me! Looks like there’s a nice smoke ring in it too.

Tell me about this meyer lemon evoo, homemade or store bought? I bought some meyers last year to make limoncello, they’re definitely sweet.

Nice job John!
That is a great looking meal!
Sounds like you should have started it a bit earlier!
Al

Looks like a win to me! nice work!
Thanks Sandy

Looks good to me. I pull mine off around 203 and rest in cooler 2hrs but I remove the juice first and re-wrap it. Never mushy. Nice work
Thanks Jake

That's a fine looking effort and a wonderful piece of work John, Like! I think you did good, real hard to sit there and let 'em go beyond 205º. The sides work too, nice team cook, should go for a ride! RAY
Thanks for the like and kind words Ray!

Looks good from here also! The whole meal looks great. Glad you both enjoyed cooking it together, that's cool you enjoy cooking together.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan!

John

Hell yeah all around John! Great looking butt, whole plate, and drink selections! My kind of day! In the future you can let the butt ride a little longer. I have had to take some to 210 to get them done and never mushy or dry.

Oh and yeah please do expand on the Meyers lemon evoo that sounds amazing!

All looks really good. Love pp, twice baked taters and asparagus.

We had our first asparagus from our garden tonight for dinner. Good stuff!

Johnny Ray
Thanks Johnny!

It was a really nice meal.

Looks great and I like the daddy's little helpers!
Thanks Motorboat, can't do a smoke without a little help...

I sure would not turn that plate down by any chance. Nicely done!
Thanks Winterrider for the nice comments.

Nice butt John!!

It looks pretty darn good to me! Looks like there’s a nice smoke ring in it too.

Tell me about this meyer lemon evoo, homemade or store bought? I bought some meyers last year to make limoncello, they’re definitely sweet.
Thanks Joe for the like and kind words.

It is store bought, they do a ton of different ones, and we have a few but the Meyers Lemon is really good as well as their 18 year old Balsamic.

I will send you and John a PM with a link to the web site, you should check out all the different infusions they carry.

Nice job John!
That is a great looking meal!
Sounds like you should have started it a bit earlier!
Al
Thank You Al for the like and suggestion.

I should have started it earlier and also as John says should have let it ride, which I will do next time.

John

Hell yeah all around John! Great looking butt, whole plate, and drink selections! My kind of day! In the future you can let the butt ride a little longer. I have had to take some to 210 to get them done and never mushy or dry.

Thanks John for the like and info!

As stated above I will PM you and Joe the details.

kruizer kruizer and uncle_lar uncle_lar thanks for the likes...

John

Cook looks great John!
As a newb when it comes to cooking meat to fall off the bone done I was going to ask, if youre butt is to temp lets say 203-205 degrees & the butt doesnt probe like soft butter & you need to let her go longer do you try & clock the temp back so the internal temp doesnt climb much more, or let the pellet grill pitt temp stay where its at say 250-275 degrees & internal temp of the butt continues to climb & to what temp would be ok????

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky