Boston Butt, GA style-ish

Discussion in 'Pork' started by jwbtulsa, Jan 8, 2013.

1. jwbtulsa

jwbtulsa Meat Mopper

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2013
  2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That pork looks, MOUTH WATERING Fantastic!!! Great Job!!! [​IMG]

3. gadsden 1

gadsden 1 Fire Starter

Are you kidding me?!  That looks so dang good I can hardly keep the drool in my mouth....and I just ate a fantastic steak!

[​IMG]

4. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Damn! Don't know how I missed this the first time. It looks great and the sauce sounds really good...JJ

5. jwbtulsa

jwbtulsa Meat Mopper

Thanks guys. It made for some very tasty sandwiches. For the juice, I also add 1/2 stick of butter when I use it on ribs. They come out with a sweet base and then I use a spicier sauce. Makes for a nice flavor profile.

6. That looks excellent.
    Just the way I like it, truly "pulled", not that shredded stringy stuff!!!!

Nice job!

~Martin

7. I agree with Martin. So how do you get a pull like this rather than shred? Is it just the method of pulling, the final IT of the pork or ?? Would love to know.

8. That looks awesome! I swear by my Maverick thermometer, it was a learning experience to pay attention to temperatures vs time. Your pork looks perfect, I saw you refoiled at 200, what temp did you pull it and how long did you rest it?

Scott

9. Wow!!!  That pig looks fantastic!!!  I'm gonna try your sauce....it sounds awesome!!!  

Rich

[​IMG]

10. That looks awesome!! I need to try that juice out!

11. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Cook to no more than an IT of 200*F, the higher the finished IT the more mushy and stringy the meat gets, and let it rest wrapped at least 1 hour in a cooler then 30 minutes on the counter. At this point it should be pretty easy to handle and Hand Pull into bite sized chunks. This takes a little more hands on time. The Meat Rakes or Bear Claws are great if you are in a hurry or have 3+ Butts to pull...JJ

12. jwbtulsa

jwbtulsa Meat Mopper

Pretty much like Chef JJ. said above. Tightly wrap the meat, cooler with towels, an hour or so. Take it out, put on some heavy rubber gloves and go to town.

13. cmondo84

cmondo84 Newbie

Looks great! How much were the cooking times reduced by?

14. Thank you Chef JJ and jwbtulsa!  You guys ROCK!  Will give it a try.