Boston Butt: ADVICE WANTED!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

overbla

Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA
So I have 4 Boston Butts that I am going to smoke for Christmas. They are each about 7-8 pounds, bone-in. I would usually think to plan 1-11/2 hours per pound to finish it, however I have never done this many together in one smoker. Considering these will all be in a 36" propane smoker should I plan for this to take longer. I was going to put them on the night before and keep it at 200-225 degrees. Anyone have any good advice for m? I'm sure the questions will start coming back at me so...........go!

Thanks!

The number of butts won't make any difference. However you should plan for 2 hours per pound to give yourself a cushion. Also, they may not all finish at the same time. I usually do butts at 225-240 Below 225 will extend your smoking time a good bit. Good luck and take pics !

Mike

As long as the air flow is good. Does not matter how many you have. It will take a bit to get the smoker back to temp after loading, but once there even when you open it, the recovery is quick.

I agree at 200 you will turn it into a very long cook. I would say north of 225 is better. I shoot for 250-275 in my COS. I see very little stall, but plan on the 2hrs per pound....

Agreed.

If your temp control is consistent, they should cook about as fast as one.  They will just use more fuel.

Also, if they are straight out of the fridge, it might take a bit longer to get your temp up at start time.

Also agree on the extra time window.  It is very nice to relax while they are foiled, towel wrapped, and resting for an hour or two. Two hours per LB of cook time would be an absolute minimum allowance at our house.  Gives you a leisurely chance to do your cleanup and get the rest of the meal prep out of the way, do the pulling, etc.

Good luck and good smoking.

Wait.....so you are saying that I should plan about 16 hours then since each piece is about 8 pounds. I wouldn't plan on 74 hours ????(32 total pounds) I should plan off of individual piece and not total poundage correct?

That is correct. Make sure to leave some space between them and get the smoker up to temp before you put the meat in.

Mike

Not too muddy up the waters any more, but I will.......

Most on the site and in the BBQ world will cook to an IT of 205 and then remove, wrap and rest before pulling.......

I will remove mine at 190-195IT and then wrap and rest.........
The pork or any other item you are cooking will have what is called carry over cooking. Basically the outside of the meat and the inside are at different temps. When resting they will balance out and the inside will rise about 10 degrees. Since I do not like my PP to be to mushy like, I remove mine and utilize what will happen anyways......

Stagger your load pattern on each rack, meaning top rack.. put your  pork butt in the center of the rack, 2 nd rack ....put butt to left, 3rd rack, butt to right. This will allow for each pork butt to get even bottom heat and smoke. For an overnight run, be sure to start with a new tank. That way your sure to sleep well, and not run out of fuel, even if you sleep in. Throw them in at midnight,,, and by 6 am your not over cooked by any chance, and have 6 hours + to shift or rotate racks. Consider outside overnight air temperature, this maybe something to consider. But once you have it all in the smoker, give it a good 20 minutes for everything to even out far as internal temp of smoker.  Also remember, as i learned from the forum, you may end up with a stall at 165- 170*  in internal temp, and not all butts cook the same even at perfect even weights, so consider 2 hours per (14 hrs) as suggested by Jar. A perfect cook of a 7lb butt 10.5 - 12. Smoker temp at 250* works for me, especially with colder temps in the 30's and a windy night.
2thumbs.gif
Good luck and have fun!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky