Boring. Just some more bacon

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by mfreel, Apr 13, 2016.

1. mfreel

mfreel Smoking Fanatic

But I can't get over how the quality of homemade bacon is just so much better than store-bought.

I dry cured this belly (skin off) using a maple sugar cure from a local vendor.  PM me if you want the link.  I cut it in half to fit them both in a 2 gallon ziploc bag.  Total cure time was 8 days. 

I took them out and soaked them in cold water for about 4 hours, changing the water at least every hour.  This method leaves it too salty for my taste.  Soaking removes a lot of the salt, IMHO.

Then I put them on a rack in the fridge for about 20 hours to get the pelicle.  

I cold smoked these overnight for a total of 14 hours with apple pellets in my AMNPS.

I wrapped them in plastic wrap for 4 days.  I usually do 3 days, but I had too much going on.

Sliced the way I like and vacuum sealed.  

Flavor is awesome.  I think I'm getting good at this bacon thing.  You don't see that kind of meat in the store-bought stuff.

driedstick and dan lapensee like this.
  2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

What is your curing recipe.... maybe we can help....

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice looking bacon!

Al

4. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks good to me

Richie

5. mfreel

mfreel Smoking Fanatic

Dave, it's a pre-mix from a vendor.  I add about a cup of the cure mix per chunk of belly.  I know you'll ask about the details, so I'll just send you a link so you can check it out.  I'm not sure how it works, but it's awesome.  I use this mix on turkeys, too.

6. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice looking bacon...... Once you've made your own, store bought just doesn't make it anymore.

Lets talk about that slicer.... I am envious! 

7. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great looking bacon, Yep nice slicer as Foam said,

DS