Boring. Just some more bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mfreel

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 4, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
But I can't get over how the quality of homemade bacon is just so much better than store-bought.

I dry cured this belly (skin off) using a maple sugar cure from a local vendor.  PM me if you want the link.  I cut it in half to fit them both in a 2 gallon ziploc bag.  Total cure time was 8 days. 

I took them out and soaked them in cold water for about 4 hours, changing the water at least every hour.  This method leaves it too salty for my taste.  Soaking removes a lot of the salt, IMHO.

Then I put them on a rack in the fridge for about 20 hours to get the pelicle.  

I cold smoked these overnight for a total of 14 hours with apple pellets in my AMNPS.

I wrapped them in plastic wrap for 4 days.  I usually do 3 days, but I had too much going on.

Sliced the way I like and vacuum sealed.  

Flavor is awesome.  I think I'm getting good at this bacon thing.  You don't see that kind of meat in the store-bought stuff.

What is your curing recipe.... maybe we can help....
Dave, it's a pre-mix from a vendor.  I add about a cup of the cure mix per chunk of belly.  I know you'll ask about the details, so I'll just send you a link so you can check it out.  I'm not sure how it works, but it's awesome.  I use this mix on turkeys, too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky