Boneless Butt Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
8lb pork butt , cut the bone out and stuffed in the net . Used the " Omak attack " injection .
In a 2 gallon bag , and in the fridge for 10 days .
20180316_153002.jpg

Out of the bag on day 9 , rinsed , dried and back in fridge overnight .
20180326_144938.jpg

In MES 30 at 6 am temp set at 130 . started smoke at 8:00 . 12" tube in mailbox with Oak / Hickory mix . Tube burned out at 1:00 . Got some nice color .
20180327_124825.jpg

Been in 10 1/2 hours . I T is 120 . Adding more smoke using the chip loader .
Gonna let it ride ,,, be back .

What is this Omak Attack injection of which you speak?

I am doing a double smoke ham for the first time on Sunday.
Trying to find an injection that makes sense.

That's looking great. I used his injection cure. Turned out great. Will definitely use it again

Watson that's a curing injection . Don't use that on a already cured ham . Just making sure you understand that .

Reactions: Watson
That's looking great. I used his injection cure. Turned out great. Will definitely use it again
Yeah me you and Dave . Not sure if any one else has tried it . It's fantastic .
Temp is at 148 . Getting ready to take it out .

Yeah me you and Dave . Not sure if any one else has tried it . It's fantastic .
Temp is at 148 . Getting ready to take it out .

I think you seen my hams I cured using his injection. If not they turned out great.

I think you seen my hams I cured using his injection. If not they turned out great.
Yes sir I did . Great job . The picnic I did was great . I hope this turns out as good .

I'm cutting up the CB I made right now. After the turkeys, next sale on butts, I want to make some butt ham. I love ham! And it will be great to pack around in the woods during turkey season.

Well got late . Took off at 1:00 . I'm not sure if I caused this thing to stall , but I'm thinkin I did .
Went and checked temp about 10:30 with instant read , was at 152 . Back in the house , and I saw I T was falling .
20 minutes ,, still falling . Was at 152 now I'm down to 143 . Dave , I remember you talking about evaporation , so I shut the top vent down some . Cab temp 190 , I T came back to 148 , but it took awhile . Had to pull it ,,, I ran out of beer .
Fresh from the smoker
20180328_005035.jpg 20180328_004954.jpg

Rested over night , then I cut in half to slice plus I wanted to make sure the cure did it's job .
20180328_103537.jpg
Looks like alot of fat , but after the slice it's all good

20180328_104543.jpg 20180328_104604.jpg 20180328_104640.jpg
Dave , I can't thank you enough for teaching me to understand how to do this .
This comes out fantastic . Great flavor , moist . So good .

Rich

Cool.... Glad you like the flavor... I sure prefer the flavor and moistness over brine/curing...
The meat looks awesome... GREAT JOB !!!

That Looks Fantastic, Rich!!:)

I wouldn't leave it out---Makes Great Bear-Bait !!!:D
I Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky