Boned leg of lamb Moroccan style.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moikel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sydney &Greenwell Point Australia
Bit of a price war here between the big stores.That traditional sunday dinner roast leg of lamb at $7 a kg cheaper than shoulder!

I boned it & I am going to stuff it & roll it. Previously I did a Sardinian version as per (almost) a recipe I found.
439.gif

This time around its going to be North African flavours.I bought some lamb sausages,I will undo them then bump the spices with my version of North African spice mix,onion,red pepper,chilli,garlic,cilantro,parsley & some preserved lemon. Fry that off ,some breadcrumbs to bind it.Then spread it over the meat roll it string it.

Into the MES.

On my own here, so the stringing might be a challenge
biggrin.gif

Reactions: snorkelinggirl
Thats the stuffing mix.Lamb sausages were Moroccan ,lots of spices,some dates & other dried fruit,some harissa .Must have been minced really fine!

Added some breadcrumbs,had to sub fresh lemon lid rusted on the preserved lemon jar
wtf1.gif
. I will season the leg with the spice mix.Then add stuffing.

Got it rolled & strung. Not the neatest correct entry but its tight.

The sausages were big company product,not a lot of texture so not like working with minced lamb. My spice mix is fennel seed,cumin,coriander ,fenugreek,paprika,cbp & salt. I added 2 cloves garlic & fresh ginger ,a dried chilli,chopped cilantro,juice & zest of a lemon.

Fresh cilantro after I  spread it.

It was a young lamb ,leg was 2 kg. 

Its gone into the MES over apple (I think) at 130c .Give it 2 or so hours. before I check it.3 hours should be about the mark.

Reactions: disco
OK  finished.

That was pretty good.

2 & bit hours still med/rare.

Flavours went well together.Had a real North African feel. Might have been better if I had minced lamb not big company sausage.

I could have been a little neater on the knife work but overall the roll part of it worked.

I went with what I had on hand,red pepper was good,some dried smoked chilli gave it a little lift.

Reactions: leah elisheva
My God, do you ever Cook Mick!!!!

That's impressive and sensational!

You truly could have the best restaurant indeed!

Very wonderful to see!!!!!!!

It must have smelled so fantastic with the seasonings you mentioned???

Beautiful!

Cheers! - Leah

Thanks Leah. It was good. I do like North African food. So much of it in France ,naturally produced fusion food. They do those great fish tagines just for starters. And lots of chargrilled fisherman's style food with the basics ,lemon,garlic,herbs ,chilli. And those mergez sausages on French bread rolls from a BBQ. At a cattle show in Limousan, funny what memories stay with you.

Hey Mick,

Looks perfectly cooked, lovely pink color throughout. Did your leg of lamb come with the aitch bone still in? Looks like it from the picture....that is a pain to bone out, but I'm impressed at how well you did it. Excellent job! Are you going to make stock with the bone?

I'm intrigued that you add lamb sausage (or minced lamb) when you stuff your leg. I've never thought of that, but it would definitely add some body to the filling. Did you put your spice mixture rub on the outside of the roll as well as the inside?

Looks like a really great meal with fantastic flavors!! I love how you pull spice combinations from different world cuisines, it is always so much fun to see the variety of cultural palettes that you pull from.

Great meal, and thanks for sharing it with the rest of us! Have a great Sunday and week!
Clarissa

That is a meal worthy of royalty. I bet it was just delicious. Great job on the recipe and the presentation.

Disco

Glad you liked it & belated congratulations for Clarissa & Disco on your OTBS.Well deserved.
This leg was cut short so no pesky H bone. Butchers cut what they call chump chops off the big end.
I kept the spice mix inside Didnt want it changing taste on me & going bitter from the smoke.
If I could've got minced lamb I would have gone with that. Sausages were over processed wrong texture.True mergez would have been a blast .
You can't get to cute with stuffing because you can't overfill it or it won't roll.
When I went to France in 2007 I saw a lot of North African cooking in Paris. The French embrace it & I saw traditional French places serving the odd North African dish. Or at least influenced dish .
Way more in the South West of France.
At the beef cattle show I went to there was Australian hay making machines ,cattle I knew a bit about & a guy with a grill selling those spicy North African mergez sausages on baguettes. A stall selling beer & wine & a bunch of big boofy blokes talking cattle & whatever else. My sort of travel experience. Country town people.

Thanks Foam & congratulations on your OTBS ,the Cajun food you bring to this forum has been a great thing as well as the stories & social history that goes with it .

Thanks Foam & congratulations on your OTBS ,the Cajun food you bring to this forum has been a great thing as well as the stories & social history that goes with it .
Is that a nice way to say I am fulla bull biscuits? LOL. You do the same, you bring your food here upon a personal level. Things I have read about you prepare, and you prepare some I never even thought about. That is why this forum is so good, its the people sharing what the know and who they are.

Thank you, I had really not even thought about the OTBS, others who are trained I always assumed wore the tag, people in the business I assumed wore the tag, I just never thought about it. Thank you again.

Clarissa when I get around to it I will do a lamb shank tagine & stick it in nose to tail. I had it in a little place in the Paris burbs near some fancy Cathedral that EW2(ex wife 2) dragged me to. The Sacred something but it wasn't a ritzy part of Paris. Then when we went to this upmarket place in Saint Germaine there was a version on the menu.I have seen that place since on TV Anthony Bourdain ate there. Its right on this fairly busy street with a very distinctive facade. Le Comp???

You just have to balance the flavours like anything else. Don't get carried away with the dried fruit & not make it to sweet.IMO. I do cook a bit of North African food & have done for years. So if there is something you are interested in let me know.

I am very proud of my North African  rubbed & oven baked chicken marylands. Bit of a show stopper.Spice mix a bit more involved ,happy to share.

Clarissa when I get around to it I will do a lamb shank tagine & stick it in nose to tail. I had it in a little place in the Paris burbs near some fancy Cathedral that EW2(ex wife 2) dragged me to. The Sacred something but it wasn't a ritzy part of Paris. Then when we went to this upmarket place in Saint Germaine there was a version on the menu.I have seen that place since on TV Anthony Bourdain ate there. Its right on this fairly busy street with a very distinctive facade. Le Comp???
You just have to balance the flavours like anything else. Don't get carried away with the dried fruit & not make it to sweet.IMO. I do cook a bit of North African food & have done for years. So if there is something you are interested in let me know.
I am very proud of my North African  rubbed & oven baked chicken marylands. Bit of a show stopper.Spice mix a bit more involved ,happy to share.

I'm looking forward to seeing your lamb shank tagine post when you get a chance!

And in regards to your chicken marylands.....anything that you are proud of, I'm sure would blow me away. I'd love to see a post on this next time you make it. Thanks!!

Perfectly cooked lamb and your spice selection sounds delicious! Nice pics, thanks for sharing. It encourages me to get a lamb leg for next weekend.

Noshrimp

That is some Beautiful Work! Lamb is a true fav of mine but the rest of the family is not crazy about it. Can you give the general proportions of the spices in the mix? Or are they 1 to 1 of each. Thanks...JJ

BTW...I am interested in the Chicken as well. That is one they all will eat. If you have a recipe for the Harissa as well it would be appreciated....

Last edited:

That is some Beautiful Work! Lamb is a true fav of mine but the rest of the family is not crazy about it. Can you give the general proportions of the spices in the mix? Or are they 1 to 1 of each. Thanks...JJ

BTW...I am interested in the Chicken as well. That is one they all will eat. If you have a recipe for the Harissa as well it would be appreciated....
Cumin,coriander,fenugreek,fennel,black pepper go in as 1 tab each 1/2 tab rock salt helps with the grind.If I was using powdered garlic & ginger ,same deal but mostly I use fresh.Paprika I use about the same. Chilli up to you. Cayenne powder or fresh. I am cautious with cloves,caraway,cinnamon  & cardamon so when I make my full all in version of ras el hanout I use 6 cloves, 1/2 tab the others.You can lose the balance& its undetectable until you cook with it then its to late.

I will show the chicken in time but thats the mix all dry spices including the garlic & ginger.Rub chic,skin on with evo then rub in spice mix,let them sit a bit. Then roast in oven baste with juices.A guy like you can see it from here. I wouldn't bother with caraway & cinnamon.

I used to make harrissa commercially  until it became a PIA back in the 90s. I also make a really lively little number called zhug only good thing to come out of Yemmen.

Let me dig around for my notes. Harissa is all about the right chilli,dried then rehydrated then start the process.Fresh chilli you get fermentation issues .I always use dry.

Give me a few days. The shop stuff here is dumbed down,people put tomato paste in it &/or binders.I wont use it.

That's a good looking lamb, Mick. The recipe and presentation are superb.

We're also fans of North African and Middle Eastern cooking, and use a lot of the spice blends such as ras el hanout, berbere, dukkah, baharat, etc. If you're making your own blends, most of the ingredients are fairly easy to source, but getting the right balance can be tricky. If you ever get around to it, I'd be interested in seeing your version of ras el hanout.

BTW, I think the restaurant in Paris you're referring to is Le Comptoir du Relais located in the Hotel Relais Saint Germain in the 6th Arr. If it's the one you're referring to, it's a bistro by day and a more formal fixed menu in the evening.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky