Bone-In Rib Roast for Christmas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Co4ch D4ve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 30, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
Made a Bone-In Rib Roast for Christmas dinner. Dry aged it in the fridge for 3 days, rubbed it with oil, salt, and pepper. Here it is going into the 200 degree oven. No smoke as it is 20 degrees here today.
IMG_0412.JPG

Here it is ready to come out of the oven for a rest at 120 degrees. It rested until it was 130 degrees then went back into 500 degree oven for about 10 minutes to crust the outside.

IMG_0413.JPG

Sorry, no freshly cut photos (hands were busy and messy). It was medium rare throughout.

Here is a plated shot of my dinner. I seared mine on the flat top with some Cajun seasoning.

IMG_0414.jpg

Merry Christmas to All!
Dave

Merry Christmas to you too Dave!

Looks good!
My first thought when I saw the plated one, was ... Oh No! WAY over done!

But then, I saw that you seared your slice on the flat top, so that explains the color. I've had Blackened Prime Rib, and it is very good, but I prefer mine very rare and red.
Plus, it makes my beard look a cool pink color. LOL

I did a Prime Rib in oven this Christmas too. Wife and I surprised a friend of our with a prime rib dinner at her house. I cooked it at home, then wrapped and took it to her house. We warmed the "made ahead sides" in her oven, and had dinner together. She loved it!

She worked her part time Job on Christmas and didn't get home until almost 6 PM.
We had dinner ready by 7 PM for her. She would have been all alone otherwise, and goodness knows, what she would had for dinner without anyone to enjoy it with. She is a sweet older lady, with rotten kids. I just couldn't bear thinking of her warming some soup, or frying a hamburger, alone for Christmas.

Last edited:
Very nice, they were on sale here for 4.99/lb. So the wife and I picked up four roasts. Currently they're all split and vacuumed sealed into two person portions - just waiting for warmer weather. It's in the teens here and supposed to go negative latter on in the week. Points for sure.

Chris

Thanks to everyone... wish I got a photo of the medium rare sliced.

Frank, very nice of you to share Christmas Dinner with someone who might have been alone without your generosity. That's a good Christmas Story!

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky