Bone In Prime Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fbi van outside

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Southern California
Just finished prepping the prime rib roast for tomorrow night's dinner. Put in sliced cloves of garlic, then EVOO on outside including commercial all purpose rub (SP&G). Will throw on more SP&G right before going on the pit. Going to smoke at 225 until IT hits about 110, then I will remove the roast and tent with foil, crank up grill to 400, and finally put the roast back on for approximately 20 minutes to reverse sear the outside. I am aiming for IT of 135 for medium rare. Using CookinPellets Perfect Mix pellets. Can't wait!

Sounds like a plan FVO.

Sounds like an awesome plan, show us some pics of cook and plate...
icon14.gif

Sounds great!

I like to get mine with the bones still attached too.

I bet that's going to be one good tasting PR.

They just don't taste the same when the bones are cut off & tied back on.

Al

Pulled the roast at 127 lightly tenting it with foil to coast to mid 130s. Making a dipping sauce combining unsweetened whipped cream, mayo, horseradish and mustard. Sides include brussels sprouts and something else wife is making. Will post rest of pix tonight.

Last edited:
FVO,
Would you give me some info on reverse sear.Smoking a 4 bone PR on Sunday and would like to know more about that process .
Leaving the bones on not tied.

Thanks in advance.

Reverse sear: slowly bringing the meat to temperature finishing with hot sear on the outside to seal in all those yummy juices and give get a nice outside crust too.

To achieve this, cook your roast at 225 degrees. When the internal temperature (IT) reaches 110 degrees, pull the roast and lightly tent it with foil. I don't know what type of unit you're cooking with but if you have pellet smoker, crank it up to 400 degrees. If using a MES or electric smoker, you'll have to transfer the roast to your oven preheated to 400 degrees. I would cook the roast until the IT reaches 125, pull it letting the roast rest for 10-15 minutes. The meat will continue to cook during this resting period. End IT should be somewhere around 130-135 which is medium rare.

I would also Google "reverse sear." There's a ton of info out on this cooking method. When I smoke tri-tip on my MES, I use this method and finish the tri-tip on my gasser. Oh yeah, invest in a good meat probe because you should cook by temperature and not time.

If anyone has anything else to add, please chime in.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me.
I am using a Masterbuilt propane Smoker. I also have ThermoPro remote dual probe thermometer.
I also have a gas grill I could do the reverse sear on that or just use the oven. Thanks for all the info as well. I will put all that to good use.

r2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky