BOMBS AWAY...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...onion bombs, that is. It's that time of the year again when Vidalia onions become readily available and I haven't posted a cook in awhile, so onion bombs it is...again. I posted one not quite a year ago, https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/onion-bombs.308950/, and had a couple of ideas for something different and here we go with the lineup...
20220518_114030[1].jpg

- 1 lb. Johnsonville hot Italian sausage
- 1 Jalapeno chopped with seeds removed
- The cheap bacon that I bought for 87¢/12oz pack
- 1 small can of diced tomatoes with green chilis. I like Rotel, but they were out of it
- Vidalia onions

First step is to combine the sausage, about ½ of the chopped jalapeno, about ½ can of the diced tomatoes with chilis and mix by hand, set aside...
20220518_114742[1].jpg

20220518_115317[1].jpg

Time to hollow out the onions. The apple corer to start and then the melon baller to scoop out the innards. I started with 5 onions, but after stuffing with the sausage mixture, I realized that I could stuff one more. These were probably medium sized onions at best...
20220518_115724[1].jpg

20220518_115749[1].jpg

20220518_115928[1].jpg

Time to stuff with the sausage mixture and wrap with bacon, 2 slices per onion. This is regular sliced bacon...
20220518_122123[1].jpg

I had 2 slices of bacon left over so I cut them into thirds and you know where they ended up...
20220518_122205[1].jpg

Time to smoke them. Onto my Weber with some lump and a split of maple at about 325℉ until internal temp was around 170℉. Took about an hour maybe, I didn't really watch the time...
20220518_165420[1].jpg

Once they got up to temp and the color I was hoping for, I put some sliced mozzarella on each to melt...
20220518_174130[1].jpg

Time to eat...
20220518_181226[1].jpg

This was actually a side dish with the St. Louis ribs and some leg quarters that I smoked, as well. Served with mixed vegetables and a tomato/basil/mozzarella with balsamic vinegar drizzle...
20220518_182823[1].jpg

20220518_175021[1].jpg

...onion bombs, that is. It's that time of the year again when Vidalia onions become readily available and I haven't posted a cook in awhile, so onion bombs it is...again. I posted one not quite a year ago, https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/onion-bombs.308950/, and had a couple of ideas for something different and here we go with the lineup...
View attachment 632316

- 1 small can of diced tomatoes with green chilis. I like Rotel, but they were out of it
- Vidalia onions

First step is to combine the sausage, about ½ of the chopped jalapeno, about ½ can of the diced tomatoes with chilis and mix by hand, set aside...
View attachment 632317
View attachment 632318
Time to hollow out the onions. The apple corer to start and then the melon baller to scoop out the innards. I started with 5 onions, but after stuffing with the sausage mixture, I realized that I could stuff one more. These were probably medium sized onions at best...
View attachment 632319
View attachment 632320
View attachment 632321
Time to stuff with the sausage mixture and wrap with bacon, 2 slices per onion. This is regular sliced bacon...
View attachment 632322
I had 2 slices of bacon left over so I cut them into thirds and you know where they ended up...
View attachment 632323
Time to smoke them. Onto my Weber with some lump and a split of maple at about 325℉ until internal temp was around 170℉. Took about an hour maybe, I didn't really watch the time...
View attachment 632324
Once they got up to temp and the color I was hoping for, I put some sliced mozzarella on each to melt...
View attachment 632325
Time to eat...
View attachment 632326
This was actually a side dish with the St. Louis ribs and some leg quarters that I smoked, as well. Served with mixed vegetables and a tomato/basil/mozzarella with balsamic vinegar drizzle...
View attachment 632327
View attachment 632329
suppertime was not a good time to read this. those look great!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Nice work Charles . That's one heck of a meal bud .

Heck yeah, looks fantastic.

Nice Charles! Everything looks amazing man. I need to post some stuff too its been too long.

Bombs look bomb Charles. Nice work bud

Looks Great, Charles!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

suppertime was not a good time to read this. those look great!
Thank you all so much...

Welcome to the forum.......stop by roll call and introduce yourself!
Now that's funny, thanks for the laugh, Jake...:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:
Lol well deserved burn. I have about 15 cooks to post. Ill get on it beginning of next week.

Sorry Charles didn't mean to hijack. You killed this cook. Someone get this man on the carousel!
You guys are welcome to hijack any of my threads anytime...:emoji_thumbsup:Thank you for your generous comments...

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looking at that plate shot, you nailed that rib and the chicken! Good grief that’s just excellent. I say carousel as well, and would be well deserved.

84E70106-2F4B-4CF2-9409-846B5BE4C801.jpeg

Looks great ty for sharing .. have you ever thought of cutting the ends of and slicing in half and using two sides to make a ball and wrapping in more bacon? Saw it one time

View attachment 632316

- Vidalia onions

View attachment 632317
View attachment 632318
View attachment 632319
View attachment 632320
View attachment 632321
View attachment 632322
View attachment 632323
View attachment 632324
View attachment 632325
Time to eat...
View attachment 632326
View attachment 632327
View attachment 632329
oh hell yeah, these are going to be the side dish for the duck I am spinning on Sunday!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky