Bob from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foxhunter59

Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hello everyone,

I was introduced to to your site by a genuine smoker from NY named Dan. I found his youtube video on building a smoker from an old fridge  .                     A Ukranian friend of mine I call Jeff the yo yo mon. and I decided we needed to learn to smoke and I happened to have a old 1920's westinghouse at an acreage my wife and I recently purchased. We followed Dans design to a tee I think except for the camo paint job...Dans camo looks better than the job we did but we still think it looks pretty redneck high tech (as Dan described the one we copied from him). Anyway, we have completed most of the smoker AND READY TO FIRE IT UP SOON, Can you tell I am excited? lol

Jeff and I have venison in the freezer from this fall and we will also be buying a pig right away. We love jerky and want to make our own but why not learn everything we can about smoking when we have the meat and a smoker right?.  We are real beginners so doing lots of reading and could use some advice on here from time to time for sure. We want to be able to cold smoke and hot smoke using the same smoker if possible. Any comments or advice on the design are welcome. In the pictures the fire box is not finished. I have to decide if I will go right into the side of the fire box or raise the fridge and cut down the legs and use the 90. The drawer on the floor is all metal and original from the fridge. I planned to install it under the fridge as a working drawer no matter what because I love the original chrome. One thought was to use it for an electric stove as a possible solution for cold smoking so we would have to cut out the bottom of the fridge to do it but not really sure I like that idea. I would have to cut through both bottom layers of steel and remove the insulation. Anyway I am rambling, nice to be introduced to all you smokers, look forward to joining you!

Bob

701293c9_IMG_0154.jpg

639b3eef_IMG_0161.jpg

If you think you can hide the smell of smoked meat with that camo job good luck. Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to SMF - that smoker is interesting to say the least - In your post you asked about cold smoking - I highly recommend you go here and order one of these for cold smokes - There are nearly 900 of them in circulation everyone loves them

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

I use it for both HOT and Cold smokes and it has improved my process a lot

Very interesting smoker, can't wait to see the results. The paint job is awesome. Wonder how my MES would look with camo paint?

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Bob to SMF. Very nice smoker build that you have there. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    

Thanks to everyone for the welcome,

There are a few things left to complete the smoker but hoping we can get it all done this weekend. I am interested in the e-course but I have not been able to find where to sign up.

So far everything I have seen and read has been really helpful. I don't care for the q-views though because they leave me drooling all the time with no smoked meat for relief quite yet!

It's wrong.........so worng! to post thiose delicious smoked creations when they can cause such pain and suffering.

My only solution will be to punish others down the road by posting some of my own q-views

Take that you smoking fools! lol

Finally finished building the smoker and fired it up on the weekend. Only had time to test fire and do a burn before using food. The outside temp was brutally cold at minus 4 F

filled the basket with coal and kept adding over 12 hours and couldn't get the temp hotter than 125.

I added an electric fry pan to the fridge and added some cherry wood. It smoked great but the temp still only reached a high of 150. Unless there is a way to get better heat transfer from the fire box to the fridge compartment I will not be hot smoking for a while until the weather warms up some. At least I think thats the problem....just too cold outside

I wonder how much it will have to warm up outside for me to hot smoke?

Bob

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Looking at the set up, I think you may need to insulate the fire box and the pipe going to the fridge.

Finally finished building the smoker and fired it up on the weekend. Only had time to test fire and do a burn before using food. The outside temp was brutally cold at minus 4 F

filled the basket with coal and kept adding over 12 hours and couldn't get the temp hotter than 125.

I added an electric fry pan to the fridge and added some cherry wood. It smoked great but the temp still only reached a high of 150. Unless there is a way to get better heat transfer from the fire box to the fridge compartment I will not be hot smoking for a while until the weather warms up some. At least I think thats the problem....just too cold outside

I wonder how much it will have to warm up outside for me to hot smoke?

Bob

Hey...I'm new to the forum and love to smoke.  Although I'm new to smokin and make constant mistakes, I'm learning by trial and error.  I bought a charbroil upright smoker a year ago and found out that you get what you pay for.  I got it from Lowe's at a bargin price of 70 bucks...It is made of a really thin gauge steel, which I found out later is bad, and it doesn't hold the heat I need.  The temp will only hold around 150 degrees, which I found out later was bad.  So, I'm in the market for a new one.  Can't really make my own like foxhunter did, which is awesome by the way, so I'm looking at The Big Steel Keg formly know as Bubba Keg.  I would appreciate any help that can be offered...Bad idea...Good idea...I just don't want to make the same mistake again...Thanks for any comments

First of all, Welcome to SMF. There are a lot of friendly helpful people here. You need to go to the Roll Call section & introduce yourself. Tell us a little bit about yourself & then sign up for the free E-Course. It covers all the smoking basics. As far as a new smoker goes, if you want easy & economical I would go with a Masterbuilt electric. You can get the 40" with a glass door for $299 at Sam's Club. Home Depot has the 30" usually on sale for around $149. If you can afford it I would go with the 40".

Hey...I'm new to the forum and love to smoke.  Although I'm new to smokin and make constant mistakes, I'm learning by trial and error.  I bought a charbroil upright smoker a year ago and found out that you get what you pay for.  I got it from Lowe's at a bargin price of 70 bucks...It is made of a really thin gauge steel, which I found out later is bad, and it doesn't hold the heat I need.  The temp will only hold around 150 degrees, which I found out later was bad.  So, I'm in the market for a new one.  Can't really make my own like foxhunter did, which is awesome by the way, so I'm looking at The Big Steel Keg formly know as Bubba Keg.  I would appreciate any help that can be offered...Bad idea...Good idea...I just don't want to make the same mistake again...Thanks for any comments

Thanks Smokin Al for your comments.  I've signed up already for the ecourse and have completed day one.  I have looked at many electric smokers and 300 is about where I want to be on price, but I like to do the work and although electrics are a lot easier it would kind of take out the fun for me if I just set it and forget it. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky