"Boarsmokin" just joined.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boarsmokin

Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Middletown, CA
Hello, Frank here from Boar's Breath Smokin' Barbeque in California, about twenty minutes north of the Napa Valley wine country, residing and in business since 1994 here in the Lake Co. wine country. I have been studying real barbeque for the last year, practicing on a Weber 22" bullet smoker. I am adding Q cuisine to my menu of Steaks, seafood, pasta and mostly American comfort food.

I recently made a journey to Houston TX, to tow back a 24 X 48 offset stick burner built onto a trailer ordered from Gator Pit Custom Smokers there in Houston.

Still working on learning the pit's quirks, burnt' my first spare ribs, LOL. Working on regulating the heat, pulled a rookie move, and didn't monitor temp at the grate. My first job with it was to do 65 racks of Premium Local Lamb denver ribs for a big charity event, the pit was about three weeks late in getting built, so I had three days to get back to California, season the pit and get those ribs done by the event. Man, was I wondering what I got myself into,
wife.gif
The ribs came out just OK, tender enough, but needed more time, I think my sauce, mustard base, saved me a little, I did win Best use of Local Product though, that was cool.

Anyway, I know I still have a lot to learn before I would actually sell smoked meats to my customers, I won't do that until I myself would pay money for the product.

I got the new Smoking Meats book finally, and for the first time joined in any type of forum, figured I could get lots of advice and wisdom from all you experienced pit masters out there.

Thank you, and I'm proud to be a member of this forum with like minded people

Frank

Boar's Breath Restaurant & Bar, Steam City Pizzeria, and now Boar's Breath Smokin' BBQ

Middletown,Ca

Welcome and make yourself at home.  No better place on the internet.  I would suggest taking the five day e-course.  Might help shore up and expand on the knowledge you already know.

Hello Frank - Welcome to SMF - sounds like a great start and that you will have this dialed in soon, Glad to have you here

Sorry my bad for not linking to the e-course.  I will have to pick your brain about running a restaurant sometime as that is something I am working towards myself.  

welcome1.gif
, Frank. Glad to have you here on SMF.

You have one more thing to do to be a qualified Member , get yourself a big 'Bib' .  You'll need it to protect your shirt as you paruse the post (keeps Mama happy too:)

Have fun and...

Hey NikyB,

Still learning my way around the forum "how to", I did reply to your post about restaurant stuff, I thought it would show up right under your post..

Does anyone out there cook with a Gator Pit ?  I used a different type of oak on the 4th of July cook, had much better luck controlling temp than with the first oak I tried, honestly, that's what I was told it was , I don't know for sure even if it was oak. I got it from a wood supplier.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky