Blueberry/Wild Rice summer sausage recipe.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Phresh

Original poster
Jul 3, 2018
I have been looking and looking for a recipe for a certain type of summer sausage. There is a meat market here in Minnesota that seems to win meat market of the year all the time, Schmidt's. They make this "Minnesota Style" sausage that is amazing. I have asked for the recipe many times but they never give it. I have yet to find a good recipe that is close. The main ingredients are blueberries, wild rice, honey, and maple syrup. They are amazing. Anyone have a good recior that is close that you have had luck with? Thanks.

I'm watching this one as well given the family cabin is in northern WI in blueberry country and all...

I've seen blueberry maple breakfast sausage, so from there it would be a matter of adding cooked wild rice I suppose and experimentation. Hopefully some one chimes in because I googled pictures and if we can figure it out for blueberries I can tell ya I'll be adding cranberries in no time.

Alright, so not lying, 2 AM, trying to fall asleep, and my brain remembers a similiar thing to this. Blood Sausage. Alot of them use rice in the mixture, and some add in raisins. Personally? Not a big fan of the style I've had locally, maybe the Butcher just didn't make it well, no idea. Only other way I've had it is the UK stuff where it's battered and deep fried and so on.

This gives me the basic starting point; I can't assure this is the proper way to do it for how you wanted it Phresh, but it should be a start

Per pound of Meat:
1/8th cup water.
1/2 cup cooked rice.
1/5th Teaspoon Pink Cure 1
1 Cup dried berries.

I'm largely basing this off applying what makes blood sausage work with a standard summer sausage recipe. I don't claim to know if this will work or not; though I might try it this weekend in a one pound batch. My basis is you are using dried berries.

It was just a thought; if some one else wants to chime in with further refinement to the idea, please do. I mostly remembered Sundae, Korean blood sausage, which is heavily riced and that lead me to thinking of this. Until I get around to doing this; or some one else does..well, I'm not sure how the mixture will work. I'm hoping not to watery. Different rices have different types of feel after all.

Reactions: Phresh
Thank you so much for your insight. I will give this a try coming up soon. That will be a good starting point.

NP, I don't know why I didn't think of blood sausage as an idea before. This is really just replacing the blood with meat I suppose. I have some rasberry bushes in my yard, so I'm sort of hoping to do some thing like a rasberry chiptole summer sausage with rice. I just personally dislike wild rice. I always end up taking a bite of it, and one grain or another rams into my gums and then I gotta pull it out and then it hurts like a mofo and I bleed or some thing dumb.

Alright, running around is done, I'm making a cup of jasmine rice now, I'll chill it, then combine with a pound of ground beef and the berries and reweigh. Then I'll know how many casings to soak roughly. I'm guessing two.

I'll be using LEM's Backwood Summer Sausage seasoning <I didn't feel like really mixing by hand>. I might add a touch of red pepper or pepper oil just because I like to punch things up a notch. This comes with it's own curing stuff too. I'll get pictures as things get going.

I normally use stock when making jasmine rice, but I decided I'll do it unsalted and straight up to help reduce what I am sure will be a some what salty store blend to begin with. I also picked up some fresh blueberries, I will add a few to one of the sausages and we will see what happens. I know I should let them sit in the fridge once made for 24-48 hours, but I plan to smoke them tommorrow as my fridge space might be a tad limited by the now 8 pound pork loin I got for making bacon. ;)

I've made Minnesota summer sausage a few times as I grew up just down the road from Schmidt's. I'll have to see if I can find my notes but if I remember right the last time I made a 25 lb batch I used the Hi Mountain summer sausage kit and added 1 cup wild rice, 1-2 cups blueberries, 8 oz honey, 8 oz maple syrup, 1 oz ECA. It's not a perfect match but it's pretty close. I know I've also purchased a kit directly from Schmidt's as well, but that can be a little spendy if you buy through them.

Thank you for the reply. That might be exactly what I am looking for. I didn't know that they sold kits there... Thanks for the replies from each of you. I have been working so much lately but I will definitely be trying the recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky