Blizzard CSR Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
The meat was cubed and seasoned overnight, everything ready to go. Except the weatherman and snow. Crazy, we have daffodils blooming.

With no turning back, I setup the smoker, got it lit, and started the smoking tube full of pecan. I plugged in the thermometer and it read 23 degrees. And, a 35 mph wind blowing out of the Columbia Gorge. I guess the conditions will be a good test of my wind skirt. I need to build a baffle over the top vent. Wind gusts enter there and swing the temp around a bit.

So far, things seem to be working pretty well except some of the bourbon splashed out of the sauce into the cook.

5DE711A6-12FB-4F98-AFCB-54532978A83B.jpeg
8ECF4F39-6CE7-4C62-B8E1-4A16578C6356.jpeg

Looks like a great start to some really good eats!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

things seem to be working pretty well except some of the bourbon splashed out of the sauce into the cook.

Don't ya just hate it when that happens? You can mess up a really good sauce that way but if enough of the bourbon splashes into the cook, he won't even care :emoji_laughing:

BTDT,
Robert

Looking good! Adapt and conquer, and have a little more bourbon! Maybe give a fair share of bourbon to mother nature... she seems a little testy lately!

Ryan

They taste pretty damned good. I put a little veg oil on them in a bag and coated them with rub. I then did 225 over pecan until 150. I then moved them off the racks into foil pans, sauced them with bourbon BBQ sauce and covered them with foil. I bumped up the temp to 350 for about 90 minutes to set the bark. These will be great with baked spuds tomorrow night.

Now, we are getting freezing rain. And the wind is back.

If the smoker isn’t frozen under a glacier in the morning, I plan to make my first attempt at smoking jerky. I may have to wait for spring thaw.

19BE3D92-2EF8-4D27-9403-F2A332482A4F.jpeg

Nice job.
Used to live north of you in Seattle (area). A couple days and it is spring?

I have a recipe for a Damn Fine Whisky Sauce to top bread pudding.
Instructions specify a shot for cook and remainder for sauce.

A fine looking glaze on those. Pretty stiff breeze there. I feel like that could really mess with air flow and such. Looks like a combination of determination, pork and bourbon. Thats a recipe we can all learn from. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: OldSmoke
Thanks, I do know what country style ribs are. Reading through so many different threads on here, I see a lot of abbreviations used and I just don't know what they stand for.
Somewhere on here there's a list of abbreviations that has alot of them on it... can't remember where exactly. Maybe someone will pipe in on where it's at again, it's very helpful!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky