Blackstone Griddle goes Lebanese / Lamb Kofta smashburgers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I have seen so many griddle posts lately you all inspired me to dig mine out and get to work. I decided to do a spin on smashburgers using Lebanese lamb kofta for smashburgers along with other things to remain in the Lebanese theme.

Appetizer: Fried Halloumi – Fried Halloumi cheese with a tahini and my homemade sugar free
dandelion honey drizzle. Topped with pistachios and served with an olive tapenade.

Salad: Lebanese Fattoush: Romaine lettuce, cucumber, tomato , parsley and keto garlic pita chips served with a traditional Lebanese salad dressing highlighted by olive oil, lemon, fresh mint and Za’atar

Entrée: Lamb Kofta Smashburger and Mediterranean grilled vegetables: Fresh made lamb kofta patties smashburger style served on chaffles with garlic spread, spinach, feta cheese sauce and fresh pickled red onions. Served with a side of an eggplant and squash medley marinated with olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh mint, parsley and lemon with a hit of chili flakes.

I made the lamb kofta a day ahead of time to let the flavors marry.

Lamb Kofta Ingredients:

• ½ cup each of almonds and walnuts (can use pine nuts too)
  • 1 ½ small onions
  • 4 ½ cloves minced garlic
  • 1 ½ medium red bell pepper
  • 2 medium jalapenos seeded
  • ¾ cup cilantro
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/3 tsp each cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and pepper
  • 2 ¼ tsp salt
  • 3 lbs. of ground lamb
Chop nuts fine in a food processor and toast lightly in a pan. Cut up and finely mince the rest of the veggies in the food processor. Squeeze as much juice as possible out of them in a fine mesh strainer or use cheesecloth. Mix all ingredients thoroughly with the lamb and refrigerate overnight to let flavors develop. I pattied them up into 5 oz. patties prior to putting in the frig.

IMG_4094.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

I made some sweet pickled red onions and a feta cheese sauce to go with the burgers. Recipes follow, didn't get pics of these finished. Pic is of the sauce prior to melting it.

Sweet Pickled Red Onion Ingredients:

• One medium red onion halved and sliced
  • 1 -2 tablespoons sweetener (I used 2 Swerve)
  • ¾ cup of white vinegar
  • 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • Chili flakes to taste
  • Mix all ingredients and rest for at least an hour. Much better if left overnight.
Feta Cheese Sauce:
  • 1 cup crumbled feta
  • 1 tbsp. fresh minced basil
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 3 tbsp. heavy cream
  • ¼ tsp cumin
  • Pinch of sweetener
You can cook this in a water bath or be lazy like me and microwave in 45 second increments stirring each time until smooth.

IMG_4099.jpg

Mediterranean Marinated Vegetables:
  • 1 eggplant
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 yellow squash
  • Dressing
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • ½ tsp salt
  • Pinch of chili flake
  • ¼ cup fresh chopped mint
  • ¼ cup fresh chopped oregano
Slice the veggies and mix. You can peel the eggplant if its larger and the skin is touch. Toss in the marinade about a half hour before cooking.

veggies on grill done.jpg

veggies in bowl.jpg

Fattoush Salad:
  • 1 large head of romaine
  • 2 cucumbers
  • 2 containers of cherry tomatoes
  • ½ cup fresh chopped parsley
  • Keto pita chips (recipe I used was bad and I had to wing it to salvage so not shareable on the first go round)
Dressing
  • ¼ cup EVO
  • ¼ cup lemon juice
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp. chopped mint
  • 1 tsp Za’atar
  • ½ tsp. kosher salt
  • Pepper to taste
bowl of salad.jpg

Here is the halloumi frying away on the griddle
grilling cheese.jpg

Here are some of the kofta on the griddle and all of them on the cutting board after. 12 of them there double stacked. I ate lucky number 13 while I was cooking them lol.

burgers on griddle.jpg

burgers done.jpg

Time to construct some things. Here is the halloumi appetizer plated.

appetizer 2.jpg

Next a bowl of salad so I can give my wife the salad and appetizer while I work on finishing the rest.
salad served.jpg

Starting the kofta burger here. A nice layer of Mediterranean garlic spread on the chaffle.
garlic spread.jpg

First burger with spinach and feta cheese sauce

burger halfway done.jpg

Double deckered up with some more cheese sauce and topped with the sweet pickled red onions.

burger all dressed up.jpg

Here it is plated up along with the vegetables and some spicy pepper infused Greek olives.

plated 1.jpg

Well that's a wrap. The flavors in this were awesome. The sweet pickled onion on the kofta to contrast with the salty feta sauce was money. The saltiness of the fried halloumi with the tahini and honey was a nice combination as well. The vegetables were tasty if not a little lemony. All in all this was one tasty meal. I have the griddle now in a spot easier to get out so more griddle fun is sure to come. Thanks for looking!!

One helluva spread there brother! Lotta work I'm sure...but WOW! My compliments to the highest.

Reactions: jcam222
Man what a meal! I cant say ive ever had anything like the kofta but from what I'm seeing id love it! The whole meal is a work of art! Very nice!

Wow Jeff...absolutely spectacular meal my friend that is breathtakingly beautiful. Leave it to you to create a 5-star, world class, magazine quality keto friendly meal on the griddle. Only you sir....only you :emoji_wink: That is unless of course this inspires somebody else to replicate this, which I'd love to do but would have to use beef instead of lamb. It'd still be great I'm sure.

I don't just LIKE that, I LOVE it,
Robert

Man that looks wonderful and I LOVE kofta. Big like from me jeff
One helluva spread there brother! Lotta work I'm sure...but WOW! My compliments to the highest.
Man what a meal! I cant say ive ever had anything like the kofta but from what I'm seeing id love it! The whole meal is a work of art! Very nice!
Speechless! What a beautiful meal. I know it was delicious!

Johnny Ray
Geesh! That looks delicious! I gotta give that a try. Point!
Outstanding!
Wow Jeff...absolutely spectacular meal my friend that is breathtakingly beautiful. Leave it to you to create a 5-star, world class, magazine quality keto friendly meal on the griddle. Only you sir....only you :emoji_wink: That is unless of course this inspires somebody else to replicate this, which I'd love to do but would have to use beef instead of lamb. It'd still be great I'm sure.

I don't just LIKE that, I LOVE it,
Robert
Wow Jeff! Hard to say much else. That is a beautiful presented meal my friend. Thanks for posting the recipes as well.
Dang Jeff, that is one fantastic lookin' meal brother! :emoji_thumbsup:

Way more work than I would put in, but the result speaks volumes.

BIG LIKE!

John
Thanks guys for the likes and compliments. It was honestly one of my favorite meals of the year. txsmoker txsmoker beef kofta is delcious too. SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan the cheese sauce is far to thick as is to use as salad drsssing. If anyone replicates this I can’t stress enough the importance of the sweet pickled onions. Their contrast to the saltiness of the kofta and feta is money.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I love the flavor combo of Lebanese food. All looks great...JJ

Wow Jeff! That is a killer looking meal! Lots of flavors going on there. Never had lamb kofta but would like to try.

I bought more halloumi cheese yesterday, I’m going to be making more skewers at some point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky