Blackjack

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

macdoesit

Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
Anyone ever smoked with Blackjack.
I have 5 acres with Hickory, Oak, Walnut and Blackjack.
This last ice storm brought down a lot of large limbs that Im cutting and splitting to season.
I have used blackjack in the past and to me has a nice smoke flavor.
I like to be able to smell the smoke on my meat and taste smoke flavor down in the meat. Some people do not like as much smoke as I do.
If everyone liked the same thing, would be a very boring world.

I have used blackjack quite a bit as where I used to live it was plentiful. It produces a good flavor in my opinion.

jack oak is good stuff. i have been burning mostly pin oak myself. i think you'll find many fans/users here of just about every wood suitable for smoking

Never heard of pin oak ?
it is in the red oak family like jack, with quite a bit of tannins and thus a pretty dang strong flavor. a little different than jack.

The trees are everywhere around St. Louis

it is in the red oak family like jack, with quite a bit of tannins and thus a pretty dang strong flavor. a little different than jack.

The trees are everywhere around St. Louis
Did not know, thank you, learn something new everyday.

Never heard of blackjack oak... but at first thought "blackjack", I imagined something totally diferent! Sure glad it's a wood and not what comes in a tube! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Never heard of blackjack oak... but at first thought "blackjack", I imagined something totally diferent! Sure glad it's a wood and not what comes in a tube! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
You may well have seen them, they're around a lot of the country. Jack/blackjack oak, at least, as straight "black oak" is yet another species

I use scrub oak down here in FL.. I have several trees in my back yard & there are always a bunch of dead branches that need to be trimmed. They are already dried & ready to use in the smoker.
Al

Reactions: Hamdrew
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky