Black tea, orange and bourbon brined smoked bird

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
Tested a black tea, orange and bourbon brined turkey breast a month or so again, came out pretty good. Was a test run for today.

Just finished today's bird and it looks amazing. It brined from Tuesday evening till this morn and went into the smoker about 1045a breast just hit 160. Smoked it over mesquite, bourbon char and orange peel. Hope it tastes as good as it looks.

IMG_20191128_141810_141.jpg

Thats probably the best color of anything thats come out of the smoker.

Im sure ai cant keep up with some of you big boys whove been doing this for years, hut gotta say it came out delicious. Little MES turms out some tasty food.

We all learn new stuff daily I’d say! I’d not heard of brining with black tea before. It’s interesting. As far as the MES I’d guess its one of the most widely used unit by the membership. Lots of great Q out of them.

Agreed, o e of things I learned when I tested this recipe is that since the MES really doesnt run hot enough to really crispin the skin, tun it at 275 and baste the skin with olive oil every so often. I gave it a basting each time I added the orange peel, bourbon char and mesquite chips. Think that too may have contributed to the color, along with the black tea and bourbon.

Ill try to get some sliced picts this eve for dinner.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky