black skin but good meat.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jd1965

Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
hi guys. wondering why everything I smoke comes out with almost black outer skin. the meat comes out good and tender and tasty but just looks black I'm not venting the smoker enough or what. I'm using a masterbuilt propane upright smoker. any help would be awesome thanks.

Are you using a rub with sugar? Sugar caramelizes very quickly. I'm not sure what type of meat you're cooking, but you may want to consider a low or no sugar rub.

And you aren't using a bbq sauce at the start of the cook are you? That would be even worse than the rubs containing sugar. Save sugary sauces for the last 30 minutes or so.

Another thought... Is the meat subjected to high or direct heat? That could also be the culprit.

Keep in mind, I'm thinking in terms of burning. Some meats, such as shoulders, do tend to blacken up but are by no means burnt.

I SMOKED A BEER CAN CHICKEN WITH McCORMICKS CHIPOLTE AND ROASTED GARLIC RUB. I SMOKED IT FOR ABOUT 3 HOURS AND THE SKIN WAS BLACK THE MEAT WAS GOOD AND JUICY AND DONE. I ALSO DID SOME RIBS THAT CAME OUT KINDA BLACK LOOKING TOO BUT WERE REAL GOOD TO. I DONT OPEN MY VENTS I WONDER IF THATS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. I WOULD THINK IF THE VENTS WERE OPEN IT WOULD BE HARD TO MAINTAIN TEMP. I'M I WRONG.

I SMOKED A BEER CAN CHICKEN WITH McCORMICKS CHIPOLTE AND ROASTED GARLIC RUB. I SMOKED IT FOR ABOUT 3 HOURS AND THE SKIN WAS BLACK THE MEAT WAS GOOD AND JUICY AND DONE. I ALSO DID SOME RIBS THAT CAME OUT KINDA BLACK LOOKING TOO BUT WERE REAL GOOD TO. I DONT OPEN MY VENTS I WONDER IF THATS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. I WOULD THINK IF THE VENTS WERE OPEN IT WOULD BE HARD TO MAINTAIN TEMP. I'M I WRONG.
you need to have the top vent all the way open all the time. The only thing that vent is for is to shut off the air once you are done smoking. Or to keep the rain out. That is your problem and you will notice a huge improvement in flavor once you master the art of thin blue smoke rather than creosote laden billowy white or worse, brown smoke that you have going with the vent closed. Your bottom vent controls airflow and thus, heat. The secret to great smoking is acheiving the right color, flavor and level of smoke for the particular meat you are doing. You want that stuff to escape from your smoker. Otherwise it will build up on the top and condensation will form and black stuff will run right down onto your meat. Yuck!

For the record, I was referring to the soot in the video which was hysterical, not JD's original question. We still need to figure out how and on what is he smoking.

For the record, I was referring to the soot in the video which was hysterical, not JD's original question. We still need to figure out how and on what is he smoking.
Yes but whatever smoker he has the top vent would not be closed all the time correct? I don't know of any smoker that works like that. I agree, more info would help us help him out. and that video is hilarious... I just saw she has a newer one out where the chicken looks way better. Many comments on her original video were to sign up for this forum.

Yes but whatever smoker he has the top vent would not be closed all the time correct? I don't know of any smoker that works like that. I agree, more info would help us help him out. and that video is hilarious... I just saw she has a newer one out where the chicken looks way better. Many comments on her original video were to sign up for this forum.
I just figured out he has the exact same smoker she has in the video and yes, he keeps the vents closed at all times.

Oh! In that case, I would say a few things....

1. Make sure the vent is fully open.

2. Get a cast iron pan to put your wood in to slow the smoking. These cabinet smokers burn wood way too fast and hot.

3. Soak your wood.

4. Make sure you are using your water pan. Even if you decide to go waterless (not sure why), it makes a decent heat diffuser.

For the record I am not ripping on you as I reread my post and it did seem harsh. Just trying to help. we were all new at one point and thank goodness for this forum that set me straight several years ago.

yes that's the exact smoker I have and that is what my chicken looked like. I will open the top vent from now on thanks for the help.

Tips

1) free flowing smoke

2) use dry wood-  seasoned wood

3) The best smoke is the lightest smoke...smoke you can barely see from the exhaust. 

Short hot smokes some gray smoke is ok

long smokes you want very thin smoke

white smoke is bad, although short burst from igniting chunks/ splits is normal

I WAS USING HICKORY CHUNKS DRY NOT SOAKED WHEN I WAS SMOKING MY CHICKEN. I READ SOME PLACE THAT YOU DONT NEED TO SOAK YOUR WOOD BECAUSE IT STEAMS THE MEAT IS THAT TRUE.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky