black skin but good meat.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Using too much wood could also be a cause. I would suggest first not to use hickory for chicken - that's too heavy, to my taste... Try apple, peach, cherry.

Then - try to reduce the wood amount, to get to, as others already said, a thin blue smoke.

Ed

I WAS USING HICKORY CHUNKS DRY NOT SOAKED WHEN I WAS SMOKING MY CHICKEN. I READ SOME PLACE THAT YOU DONT NEED TO SOAK YOUR WOOD BECAUSE IT STEAMS THE MEAT IS THAT TRUE.

I agree that soaking is not necessary, HOWEVER, with the type of smoker you have, the wood (even large chunks) burns up in no time. Before modifying my cabinet smoker, large chunks of wood were gone in literally 15 minutes. That's why I say soak with this type of cooker... Or modify.

Last edited:
I WAS USING HICKORY CHUNKS DRY NOT SOAKED WHEN I WAS SMOKING MY CHICKEN. I READ SOME PLACE THAT YOU DONT NEED TO SOAK YOUR WOOD BECAUSE IT STEAMS THE MEAT IS THAT TRUE.
First and foremost a little tip.......please stop tying in all CAPS.....on the internet it is considered yelling :o) 

I only use dry chips and NO water pan!!!   The water pan is what would steam the meat not the soaked chips.  Soaked chips don't combust as easily as dry chips.  Not sure why a lot of manufacturers suggest soaking them. 

Open that top vent!!!  Your basically bathing your meat in creosote.  It is bitter and not good to eat.  Take a look at how much wood you are using as well.  I use about 2 oz or less (depending on the the length of the smoke Im doing) and it is plenty (I use an electric).  

You are in the learning process.....don't fret.  We have all been there at one time or another.  Just read here and follow advice.  Trial and error!!! 

Scott

NO WATER REALLY WHY.
the water pan is there to stabilize temperature. It is a heat sink. water boils at 212 degrees so if you have a flare up the water pan will soak up some of the heat to even things out. It is not there to steam your meat. You can use sand in your water pan if you wish and it would do pretty much the same thing. If you have a good thermometer that you have checked with the boil or ice test to know how accurate it is you can check your cabinet temperature to see if you are running the ideal temperature. If your smoker holds a steady 225 to 250 you are in pretty good shape and may not need the water pan. when I smoked with propane I used to use a coffee can covered in foil for wood chunks. You have to poke a few holes in the foil for air. You end up getting a nice thin blue smoke if you have it setup right in there. It may take some fiddling to get it right. So yes, you should look at getting your temps right to begin with and that is with the top vent fully open. Then you want your smoke right, thin and blue. Don't bother soaking your wood, it is not needed and only delays the smoke process. Then you just want to get it to stay that way throughout your entire smoke session. Hope this helps. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky