Black oily residue on meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I never posted on You Tube, that should be interesting. Is there a reason they won't video post here?

I don't know this site's reason, but it's probably not a good idea to host a video file on a forum site. Video files are very large to host, and you would need to make sure they are encoded in a format/codecs that everyone has. Uploading to a video platform like youtube or vimeo ensures it will be optimized and everyone will be able to view it.

Hello again, I am back to update my Oily Residue story. First thing, you guys were right, it had to be a bad fan. Second thing, Camp Chef has great customer service, they kept helping me and it is finally working as it should. They sent me a new Hopper.

Once I installed the new Hopper, it was so obvious by the fan increased noise compared to my original hopper. But my original hopper, the flame in the burn pot sure seemed to have great airflow. Now with the new one, I can see a big difference. I did a two + hour smoke at 275. Very little ash in the burn pot compared to my old Hopper.

The test of cooking chicken, this time was golden brown, not black like my previous pictures. Plus stuffed peppers, no oily residue on the fingers either.

Camp Chef is paying to ship back my Hopper so they can test it and see what the issue is. But no doubt it was the fan. So thank you to all for your ideas to get me started on the right path.

Question for Camp Chef owners - The ash pullout bar. With the two screws tight on the burn pot, the pullout bar does not come out. Camp Chef said ash build up may cause the bar to be tight. I have to loosen the screws in order to use the pullout bar. Those screws should remain tight during use, right?? So what I have been doing is using my vacuum to clean out the burn pot and any ash.

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky