Black Liquid Coming out of MES Cold Smoker Unit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

R Blum

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
So I was smoking a couple of pork loins today and I am getting this black liquid dripping out of the side smoker unit. I am assuming it is creasol. I have an extension on the side unit so I just have smoke going in, not heat from the side smoker.I never use the chip tray in the smoker as it seems to never make enough smoke for my liking. With this I get plenty of smoke. I have the smoker set at 225 degrees and I turn on the side smoker until it starts smoking real good then I either turn it down(I have a controller for that) or shut it right off. I am using apple chips. Do I need to worry about this? At least this black stuff is not going into the smoker. The large wet spot in front of the unit is just melting snow, its not coming from the unit itself.
upload_2018-3-22_14-3-26.png

upload_2018-3-22_14-5-22.png

There's lots of information about this issue on this site. What many folks do is use something to regulate the power so it's not running at full temp - a simple plug in light dimmer works well for me. I've also found that smaller chips increase the problem - try to use chips that are larger or chunks.

www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/masterbuilt-cold-smoker-attachment-burns-chips-too-fast.247646/
www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/problems-with-chips-what-brand-are-you-all-using.263797/
I am using a router speed adjuster to regulate the power. I was actually thinking about my wood chips. They seem to be very small. I think I might give chunks a try. Thanks for the feedback.

It condensation and creosote. And yes, better outside than in.
I get it on my MOD and 8' Aluminum cooling tube.
No worries. But if you put a can under it, it won't stain your cement. ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky