Black Jack Snack Sticks (Bourbon and Black Pepper)...recipe added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those look great and the Recipes flavor profile is interesting. I use Summer Savory in my Fried Chicken Coating. To my palate, Summer Savory tastes like a mild and floral Oregano...JJ

Those look great and the Recipes flavor profile is interesting. I use Summer Savory in my Fried Chicken Coating. To my palate, Summer Savory tastes like a mild and floral Oregano...JJ
Thank you Chef jimmyj...
After sampling @35% weight loss, Probably need to increase the bourbon in the recipe. It is very subtle. I erred on too little rather than too much of the strong herbs on the first go at it, won't know for sure until they are totally dry..

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I'd be happy to Sample and give my Professional opinion. A couple of Feet of product would be sufficient for myself and the Focus Group...JJ

• Haha
Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
WOW you had me at Jack Daniels....love anything jack ( Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan is a man after my heart - maybe he will share a picture of his stash).

And those sticks look really good.

chef jimmyj chef jimmyj I volunteer for the focus group. :emoji_wink:

GREAT BIG LIKE!

John

first one I could find. Few changes but Loves me some Jack!
1597262233848.png

indaswamp indaswamp those look and sound great! Excellent work!

Been going through the freezer making a pile of snack sticks lately. This recipe is a play off the Bourbon and Black Pepper Steak. I used Jack Daniels Bourbon Whiskey, thus "Black Jack" Sticks.

Bourbon and spice mix ready to go...
View attachment 457774

Finished up....stuffed into 19mm collagen casing and hanging in the drying chamber set to 35* for the cure to equalize.

View attachment 457775

Will smoke tomorrow with red oak...I think it will be the wood of choice with the bourbon and black pepper...
Nice chamber. The sausage really look good. Seems like you really are into the cured meats. I made a cheese cave out of an old refrig. Used an Ink Bird temp controller. Vaccum pack my cheese to age, so I don't have to worry about humidity. I'm sure I'll be getting some good advice from you when I set up my curing chamber for my meats. Been using Umai dry bags for now.

IDS... I so much wanna do these... I don't have a drying chamber so they will just be smoked and fridged ... I'll be keeping an eye out for the final product and the reviews... Let us know what changes if any willwould be made...

Misplaced ... MY GOD that's an impressive collection you have there... I am drooling all over my keyboard...

My collection is nowhere's near the size of yours (feeling inadequate here) ... But I believe this one bottle is pretty impressive as I have never seen another like it... It's around 30 YO and bought it at the end of the Distillery tour... since it was/is a dry county they would not give taste test at the end of the tour... Bu they did/could sell this commemorative bottle... it was around $85 back then...

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

do you drop them in a ice bath once done in the smokehouse? And does the casing fill up with grease near the bottom?

do you drop them in a ice bath once done in the smokehouse? And does the casing fill up with grease near the bottom?
No, I did not put them in an ice water bath, just cool tap water to drop the internal temp of the sticks below 100*F.
No, the casing does not fill up with grease near the bottom because I can hang the sticks near the top of my smokehouse and the bottoms are 3 ft. above the fire. The smokehouse temp. never goes above 180*F.

Reactions: jjpiv33
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky