Black Jack Snack Sticks (Bourbon and Black Pepper)...recipe added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Been going through the freezer making a pile of snack sticks lately. This recipe is a play off the Bourbon and Black Pepper Steak. I used Jack Daniels Bourbon Whiskey, thus "Black Jack" Sticks.

Bourbon and spice mix ready to go...
1596952530989.jpeg

Finished up....stuffed into 19mm collagen casing and hanging in the drying chamber set to 35* for the cure to equalize.

1596952532533.jpeg

Will smoke tomorrow with red oak...I think it will be the wood of choice with the bourbon and black pepper...

Last edited:
This was more goose and pork, but you can use whatever you like.

Black Jack Snack Sticks

25# 84/16 Pork or combination of other meats. I used 40% Goose meat in the grind which is why the fat is around 16%, along with pork butt.
1 2/3 cups Jack Daniels Bourbon Whiskey
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
157g salt
30g Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
0.25% cure #1 (1 oz. or 28.35g)
total salt (sodium) will be 1.8%
2 T. Dark Brown Sugar (for color)
1 cup plus 3 T. Coarse Grind Black Pepper ( I used Butcher Blend)
1 T. onion powder
1 T. Granulated Garlic powder
1/2 T. Dried Mustard powder
1 1/2 tsp. fine ground dried fresh rosemary
1 T. dried fresh summer savory leaves (crushed)
3/4 tsp. celery seed

2.5 cups NFDM powder
3.5 cups additional ice cold water
19mm collagen casing

The rosemary and summer savory just go together like yen and yang. They are both strong herbs so a little goes a long way, not main players in the recipe, they dance in the background but do stand out. The same goes for the Worcestershire sauce-just a little hint to kick up the party. Main players here are the bourbon and the black pepper....adjust to your liking- both are middle of the road in this recipe. But I'll know more how the flavor changes when they dry.

Last edited:
Note- the salt is 1.8% because after smoking (and cooking) these sticks will be dried to 45% weight loss for a shelf stable product. If you are making semi-dry sticks that will be refrigerated or frozen you can lower the salt to your liking.

Man Keith, you've been cranking out the sticks recently!! You've gotta be up to about 100 pounds of them the past couple weeks :emoji_laughing: Nice job buddy.

Robert

Man Keith, you've been cranking out the sticks recently!! You've gotta be up to about 100 pounds of them the past couple weeks :emoji_laughing: Nice job buddy.

Robert
Thanks Robert... and yes I have been cranking them out (well technically I have a motorized stuffer now so....). Each batch was 30-35 pounds and dried down 45% so I'm @55-60# of sticks right now. And I have not even started on the little wild hogs yet!:emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Last edited:
Oh, man.... Keith, how many pounds did you make? :emoji_wink: Looks very nice! Looking forward to see the final result.... Quick question for you if you don't mind: never heard of summer savory leaves before but I know they often compared with marjoram or thyme. Do you think this is good choice for replacement?

Summer savory (along with morgarom and thyme) is a component of the French herbs de provence. But, summer savory is kinda unique..hard to describe...not as bitter as winter savory though.
Good question for chef jj....

Note- I do NOT recommend using 1 cup + 3 T. of fine grind black pepper...it will be way too hot and the pepper will be over bearing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky