• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Black Jack Snack Sticks (Bourbon and Black Pepper)...recipe added

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Been going through the freezer making a pile of snack sticks lately. This recipe is a play off the Bourbon and Black Pepper Steak. I used Jack Daniels Bourbon Whiskey, thus "Black Jack" Sticks.

Bourbon and spice mix ready to go...
1596952530989.jpeg

Finished up....stuffed into 19mm collagen casing and hanging in the drying chamber set to 35* for the cure to equalize.

1596952532533.jpeg

Will smoke tomorrow with red oak...I think it will be the wood of choice with the bourbon and black pepper...

Last edited:

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
This was more goose and pork, but you can use whatever you like.

Black Jack Snack Sticks

25# 84/16 Pork or combination of other meats. I used 40% Goose meat in the grind which is why the fat is around 16%, along with pork butt.
1 2/3 cups Jack Daniels Bourbon Whiskey
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
157g salt
30g Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
0.25% cure #1 (1 oz. or 28.35g)
total salt (sodium) will be 1.8%
2 T. Dark Brown Sugar (for color)
1 cup plus 3 T. Coarse Grind Black Pepper ( I used Butcher Blend)
1 T. onion powder
1 T. Granulated Garlic powder
1/2 T. Dried Mustard powder
1 1/2 tsp. fine ground dried fresh rosemary
1 T. dried fresh summer savory leaves (crushed)
3/4 tsp. celery seed

2.5 cups NFDM powder
3.5 cups additional ice cold water
19mm collagen casing

The rosemary and summer savory just go together like yen and yang. They are both strong herbs so a little goes a long way, not main players in the recipe, they dance in the background but do stand out. The same goes for the Worcestershire sauce-just a little hint to kick up the party. Main players here are the bourbon and the black pepper....adjust to your liking- both are middle of the road in this recipe. But I'll know more how the flavor changes when they dry.

Last edited:

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Note- the salt is 1.8% because after smoking (and cooking) these sticks will be dried to 45% weight loss for a shelf stable product. If you are making semi-dry sticks that will be refrigerated or frozen you can lower the salt to your liking.

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Now your talking. Need my UPS address????

Warren

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Man Keith, you've been cranking out the sticks recently!! You've gotta be up to about 100 pounds of them the past couple weeks :emoji_laughing: Nice job buddy.

Robert

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Looks good so far! Those sticks sound awesome.

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Man Keith, you've been cranking out the sticks recently!! You've gotta be up to about 100 pounds of them the past couple weeks :emoji_laughing: Nice job buddy.

Robert
Thanks Robert... and yes I have been cranking them out (well technically I have a motorized stuffer now so....). Each batch was 30-35 pounds and dried down 45% so I'm @55-60# of sticks right now. And I have not even started on the little wild hogs yet!:emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Last edited:

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Looks good so far! Those sticks sound awesome.
Thanks xray, They smell freaking awesome right now! But I'll post a review once they dry and any recommended tweaks to the recipe.

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
'Bout to fill up the smokehouse......roll some smoke to 'em....

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That ought to last you a week or two!
Al

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
Oh, man.... Keith, how many pounds did you make? :emoji_wink: Looks very nice! Looking forward to see the final result.... Quick question for you if you don't mind: never heard of summer savory leaves before but I know they often compared with marjoram or thyme. Do you think this is good choice for replacement?

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Summer savory (along with morgarom and thyme) is a component of the French herbs de provence. But, summer savory is kinda unique..hard to describe...not as bitter as winter savory though.
Good question for chef jj....

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Note- I do NOT recommend using 1 cup + 3 T. of fine grind black pepper...it will be way too hot and the pepper will be over bearing.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
Nice looking sticks.... How much time did you spent to get them to the temp?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.