Black Eyed Peas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fltsfshr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 8, 2015
I like black eyed peas as a side. Here's a couple cooks using them. My question is what other ways are there out there to use them in BBQ. Anyone ever smoked them?

Attachments

• 20210901_162411.jpg
    20210901_162411.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210330_191443_001.jpg
    20210330_191443_001.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200806_173450(1).jpg
    20200806_173450(1).jpg
    136 KB · Views: 13
I've eaten BEPs all my life, but have never heard of smoking them...but since joining this forum a few years ago, I've learned that smokers will try to smoke just about anything! :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: DougE and JLeonard
I havent smoked any. But dont see why you cant. I always have a bunch of bacon ends and pieces or double smoked ham in the freezer I'll add into my peas/beans. Now you got my brain spinning.

Jim

I've tried to like them. Tried them fixed several ways too. I like about every legume out there but there's 2 or 3 that I just can't do. Black eyed peas and chickpeas. I can eat black beans but wouldn't feel like I was missing anything if I never ate another.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I've tried to like them. Tried them fixed several ways too. I like about every legume out there but there's 2 or 3 that I just can't do. Black eyed peas and chickpeas. I can eat black beans but wouldn't feel like I was missing anything if I never ate another.

I love BEPs, but my FAVORITE "field peas" (or, depending on where you were raised, "cow peas") are pink-eye purple-hull fresh from the garden!

Nothing like 'em!

• Love
Reactions: whistech and DougE
I love BEPs, but my FAVORITE "field peas" (or, depending on where you were raised, "cow peas") are pink-eye purple-hull fresh from the garden!

Nothing like 'em!
Purple Hull peas are my favorite. Great memories shelling 5gal buckets full with my Great grandparents. Stained and sore fingers

Black Eyed are probably my favorite. Served in a bowl with ham fat floating around, and a big ole slice of buttered cornbread. Oh yea, bottle of pepper sauce on the side if needed. Yum!

Purple Hull peas are my favorite. Great memories shelling 5gal buckets full with my Great grandparents. Stained and sore fingers

Some of my fondest memories growing up are when we sat on the porch with dishpans full of peas in our laps and a paper grocery bag at our feet for the hulls...slow, simple living.

Hubs and I did the same...pick one day, spread them out wherever there was room so they didn't go through a heat, and shell/put up the next.

Reactions: 912smoker
Canned bep drained 1or 2 cans , crushed pineapple cans to match bep. Grill pork chops and combine the bep and pineapple and heat. Throw the chops on a plate and then some of the mix, you will be surprised as to how well the flavors work

Yep same here. Go to the little garden (about an acre) pick 'em, shell them til lunch ( which was usually a vine fresh still warm 'mater with mayo on white bread) and then have the peas and cornbread for supper.

Jim

Lol, love the " let it sit until you can't wait anymore " !!
Thanks for sharing it!
I liked the "Serves: Lots or one Grampa". My grammar would practically camp out in front of the bowl of this stuff at parties.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky