Bite through skin?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skorepeo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
So I need help in getting chicken done with bite through skin cause I really don't like crispy skin on BBQ chicken. Whats the secrec to perfect bite through skin?

Smoking at higher temps.

280-300 degrees will get you that bite thru your looking for.

Al

Al has you covered. I smoke all poultry running the pit around 325.

Another thing that can help is air dry the bird prior to cooking it. It is best to do this for at least 8 hours or even better overnight. Rub the bird with 2-3 tablespoons of kosher salt with 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder. Place bird on a drying rack over a shallow pan and place in fridge to dry.

Another thing that can help is to spatchcock the bird. This combined with drying the skin will get you better skin even at lower temp smokes.

Last edited:
something i have started doing for chicken wings is smoke at like 280 degrees for about 25-30 minutes then throw them on a grill for about 5 minutes. doesn't make the skin super crispy but does give a good bite through feel. Im not sure about the rest of the bird because wings are the only part i leave the skin on.

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky