Birthday Surprise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
My best friend and his youngest daughter share a birthday, March 30, and they both love seafood so I came up with a plan for them...steamed oysters and Frogmore stew. I picked up a bushel of select oysters, these were from Virginia, and the makings for the boil that I didn't have...
20230326_122302[1].jpg

20230326_122315[1].jpg

Very lightly steamed the oysters in a pot with a basket and just a little water. Served with saltine crackers, hot sauce, and cocktail sauce...
20230326_152224[1].jpg

20230326_152950[1].jpg

It took 3 cookings, but a bushel of oysters disappeared quickly. If you don't like oysters, I get it completely. My wife HATED them forever until one day about 10 years ago when she tried one again at the beach. She's been eating them ever since.

The Frogmore Stew was the same as I have posted before HERE...
20230326_165912[1].jpg

I had about 25 people here to celebrate the day...Happy Birthday to my family...

Looks good from where I sit, I could eat a bunch of those, not as many as the puget sound oysters which are much smaller. Delicious, sounds like a good party.

Where's the beer?

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
That Frogmore stew looks REAL good. I could sure use a couple of bowls of that right now.
The oysters, well I'll pass on--little too "rare" for me. When I cook them I bread them with Ritz Crackers and fry them until they have some "body" to them when I cut 'em. Delicious!!
Gary

Looks great!! I used to eat clams and oysters raw. Or warmed. But developed an allergy about 25 years ago. Think of Rocky Balboa after 13 rounds.....
I do miss those days with my dad in Long Island. Digging clams. And eating them fresh from the water with ketchup and hot sauce.

Great lookin' oysters! I grew up on Gulf of Mexico oysters, fresh and raw, grilled on the half-shell, or fried. They are more briny than East coast oysters. In the afternoon, my Grandmother would buy them off the boats along with 'bait shrimp' (heads-on, in the 26/30 range, packed in crushed ice) as some fisherman did not have a permit to sell seafood for consumption. I doubt those rules are broken these days. :emoji_laughing:

North east oysters are so good. Never tried steaming. Guess they be easy to open like that. I will have to try. That frogmore stew looks so good. I would be happy to sit down to that feast Charles!

Great lookin' oysters! I grew up on Gulf of Mexico oysters, fresh and raw, grilled on the half-shell, or fried. They are more briny than East coast oysters. In the afternoon, my Grandmother would buy them off the boats along with 'bait shrimp' (heads-on, in the 26/30 range, packed in crushed ice) as some fisherman did not have a permit to sell seafood for consumption. I doubt those rules are broken these days. :emoji_laughing:
Our oysters here are much more briny than these that I got from Virginia. Not real sure why, but I think the saltiness comes from water temp, amount of time under water in a 24 hour period, and how close to the ocean they are harvested. Growing up, I was always told that the best oysters are the ones right at the water's edge, or just below, at low tide...

Man those are some huge oysters!! Lovecthem steamed and also love baked oysters. I’ll bet the stew was great too!
Thanks Jeff. It was all really good, but we haven't had oysters in awhile, so they were the stars of the show...

North east oysters are so good. Never tried steaming. Guess they be easy to open like that. I will have to try. That frogmore stew looks so good. I would be happy to sit down to that feast Charles!
Thank you Brian! Give steamed oysters a try. We basically like them extremely lightly steamed...really only warmed up. Steamed too long and the meat shrivels up to nothing and all the liquid cooks out. If we still have to fight to get them open, then they are about right...

What a great gesture Charles. So good to have friends like you and you have friends that yu want to do things like this for. I gotta tell you though, if I had been there you'd have needed a second bushel of those oysters. Those things are huge and look amazing.

Robert

You nailed it Charles, everything looks fabulous.

Point for sure
Chris

What a great gesture Charles. So good to have friends like you and you have friends that yu want to do things like this for. I gotta tell you though, if I had been there you'd have needed a second bushel of those oysters. Those things are huge and look amazing.

Robert
Thank you, Robert! You know it's all about family around here and we really don't have friends, they're all family. Oysters, and seafood in general, are one of the things almost everyone loves. I say almost because our nephew doesn't eat anything that swims or lives in the water...:emoji_laughing: I'll be sure to grab an extra bushel when you come...:emoji_wink:...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky